I need you opinions about the Eris.

Lynx

Reaction score
Ok so I currently have the Droid, love it, but never use the keyboard, in fact I hate that its there lol. Still within my 30 days and was debating on getting the Eris, now that it will get Android 2.0. The buy one get one deal would just be a bonus because Ill give one to dad. Anybody here go from Droid to Eris? To all Eris owners do you like it? Thanks in advance.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buy One Get One.... you have to open new line's for this promotion... so if your Dad already has VZW this won't apply unfortunately.

The processing power in the Eris is no match for the Droid.

However it's not all about how fast... form play an important function too. If you don't use the keyboard and like the feel of the Eris better... then get the Eris. It's YOUR phone so you have to love it... not everyone else :)

OP
Lynx

Lynx

Reaction score
Buy One Get One.... you have to open new line's for this promotion... so if your Dad already has VZW this won't apply unfortunately.

The processing power in the Eris is no match for the Droid.

However it's not all about how fast... form play an important function too. If you don't use the keyboard and like the feel of the Eris better... then get the Eris. It's YOUR phone so you have to love it... not everyone else :)

My dad is getting the phone on his line since its up for an upgrade, and Id open another line for the free one. Im so on the fence with it though, I have never used Sense UI.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea the BOGO will work for you.

Sense UI is beautiful. Best bet is for you to go to a VZW store and play around with the Eris for a bit. Get a feel for the phone physically in your hand and see how the OS runs thru the phone... give you an idea of Sense and how it runs.

It's a tough call cuz everyone will give you an opinion when ultimately it's YOU who has to keep the phone... so make sure you like it. That's my advice :) Either way you can't lose with an Android device.

OP
Lynx

Lynx

Reaction score
Yea the BOGO will work for you.

Sense UI is beautiful. Best bet is for you to go to a VZW store and play around with the Eris for a bit. Get a feel for the phone physically in your hand and see how the OS runs thru the phone... give you an idea of Sense and how it runs.

It's a tough call cuz everyone will give you an opinion when ultimately it's YOU who has to keep the phone... so make sure you like it. That's my advice :) Either way you can't lose with an Android device.

Ya I was tinkering around with it at the mall today. I noticed it doesnt have a camera button so that kind of is a negative, but on the positive it has a dedicated call/end key which i like. Either way I think ill be happy. I love the Droid but the keyboard is a downer to me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was DEAD SET against the Droid keyboard... now I won't give it up. LOL

Strange how that works sometimes.

LordKastle

Reaction score
If he would pay an extra hundred for the Droid, if you like that one better maybe he could buy you that and he could get the Eris. Can't really go wrong either way though.

OP
Lynx

Lynx

Reaction score
If he would pay an extra hundred for the Droid, if you like that one better maybe he could buy you that and he could get the Eris. Can't really go wrong either way though.

Oh no im paying for it lol, I have the Droid now. Switched from blackberry, and I dont regret that decision at all lol.

CaptainDango

Reaction score

Yeah at first I hated the physical keyboard but now I can't live without it. It works great with PhonemyPC when I'm remote connected to my work PC, I can slide down the keyboard and use it while navigating my desktop full screen. Comes in very handy.

n0cturne74

Reaction score
I was DEAD SET against the Droid keyboard... now I won't give it up. LOL

Strange how that works sometimes.

I was worried about the Droid keyboard also from hearing all of the pre release buzz about it. I had a HTC Touch Pro first gen which has a killer keyboard (about the only good thing it had) and since moving to the Droid I have really had no issues. I may have bumbled around the first day or two but it feels perfectly fine to me now.

It all comes down to your personal positives with a phone outweighing the negatives. It's really your personal decision and isn't based on other people's especially in a forum where the majority praises the Droid.

JayMonster

Reaction score
There is no comparison here. The Droid Eris by HTC is certainly a worthy low end Smart Phone, but it is not in the same league as the Droid by Motorola (does anybody actually ever use these "proper names"?).

Like Martin said, what you choose is ultimately up to you and what you are happy with, but you can't compare these two phones, head to head, it is just not fair to the Eris.

noles200

Reaction score
Is it true that the Eris can really only run 1 gmail account. I have a gmail account and 2 google apps email accounts set up on my Droid. I was thinking of switching to the Eris because I too do not like having the keyboard (thought I would) and can give up a camera flash and dedicated camera button for call/end buttons. Also like that the Eris is lighter (I generally carry it in my shirt pocket and the Droid is a beast in my pocket. I don't think the processor will make that much difference to me. In the end I'll probably just stick with the Droid because I don't want to go thru exchanging it but am 2nd guessing myself.

I did get an Eris for my son on the BOGO (even though I bought the Droid on the 9th of Nov.). VZW is really good like that. Didn't cost me a penny (no rebate, nothing) and I'll be getting it on Monday. He'll be excited when he opens that on Christmas.