I just returned my Motorola Droid!

Blemkor

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got my phone at a Verizon Store a couple of weeks ago and I paid the $ 299.99 and was supposed to send the papers to get the $ 100.00 back.
I started to see all this posts about better deals at Sears, Best Buy, Dell, etc. and decided that it was not fair to get it for such a high price so I decided to go back to the Store to see what they were able to do for me.
My family plan is expiring on March 2010 but when I got the phone two weeks ago, they told me that I could get it with the mail in rebate. Now that I went back they told me that nothing could be done so I returned the whole thing, including cover, car charger, and a couple of other things. I got almost $ 400.00 back.
Now I have to think what to do next. I am upset to the degree that I would like to use a different company instead of Verizon.
It is the warranty the only difference when you get the phone on line or at Best Buy?
What would you do if you where in my shoes? Thanks for the input.
Blemkor:mad:

Twoo

Reaction score
What would I do if I were in your shoes? Stop complaining. I bought my phone at Verizon, paid more money upfront- yes. But I'm not going to go returning things over 50-60 dollars.

If less than $100 is going to crush you, then you have far more serious financial problems you should be looking in to.

IMO.

Zippster

Reaction score
What would I do if I were in your shoes? Stop complaining. I bought my phone at Verizon, paid more money upfront- yes. But I'm not going to go returning things over 50-60 dollars.

If less than $100 is going to crush you, then you have far more serious financial problems you should be looking in to.

IMO.

So your saying to simply throw away $50-$60 just for the priviledge of ownership? lmao I dont care how well off you think you are, you can always use the money more then the company. I would imagine there's no coupon cutting going on in your house because if you dont want to save 50 bucks plus, who the hell cares about 25 cent coupons. Some people...........
You dont need or care about the money, so be it, but dont comment about other people's finances, simply say nothing or offer input on what he asked about.

Blemkor, you can add the insurance plan through Verizon no matter where you bought it and the manufacturers warranty is the same as well. So simply find the best deal you qualify for and keep the extra money for yourself, not the big corporations bud. :)

I wouldn't let them steer you away from this phone either, find a retailer and sales person who treats you right and buy from them, the phone rocks bud.

Last edited:

Zippster

Reaction score
Perhaps you should take a look at the jitterbug phone:

Welcome to the Brand New Jitterbug J Experience

I think that is more suited to a man of your means.

His means? How the hell do you know his means? WTF is this forums coming too, there was another thread like this awhile ago, someone wanting to save money doesnt make them dumb or poor, in fact, quite the opposite.

raqball

Reaction score
I personally can't see going to all the problems of returning the device to the store then hunting for a better price elsewhere just to save a few bucks...

The bottom line is no matter what there will always be a better deal on the device from somewhere if you wait a few weeks...

If the OP is upset the price has dropped then he/she will be in a constant return device, look for better price mode..

My .02

Last edited:

Twoo

Reaction score

IMO.

So your saying to simply throw away $50-$60 just for the priviledge of ownership? lmao I dont care how well off you think you are, you can always use the money more then the company. I would imagine there's no coupon cutting going on in your house because if you dont want to save 50 bucks plus, who the hell cares about 25 cent coupons. Some people...........
You dont need or care about the money, so be it, but dont comment about other people's finances, simply say nothing or offer input on what he asked about.

Blemkor, you can add the insurance plan through Verizon no matter where you bought it and the manufacturers warranty is the same as well. So simply find the best deal you qualify for and keep the extra money for yourself, not the big corporations bud. :)

If I'm buying a mobile phone- I buy it from the phone company that provides me my service. So if I ever have a problem with the phone, I'll go to the store that sold it to me. It's easier that way. Sure, you can take your phone from best buy to a Verizon store or what have you, but I'd rather deal with Verizon directly and save myself any/all future hassles that may arise.

It may be a false sense of protection- but I feel more comfortable buying my phone from the company my phone plan is through. I don't want to go through a secondary company that leases the ability to sell verizon contracts and phones.

Personal preference. To me, an extra $100 is worth my peace of mind. It's like buying a car. Would you spend an extra $500 on a car at another dealership if you knew their service was TOP NOTCH and you'd never have a problem with customer support? I would.

And again, to the original poster- next time do research before investing your money in a product. Prices of products fluctuate depending on where you buy them from. It's consumer 101.

I personally can't see going to all the problems of returning the device to the store then hunting for a better price elsewhere just to save a few bucks...

The bottom line is no matter what there will always be a better deal on the device from somewhere if you wait a few weeks...

If the OP is upset the price has dropped then he/she will be in a constant return device, look for better rice mode..

My .02

Also, think of all the time and gas he's going to waste driving around to save a couple bucks.

samredman

Reaction score
Zippster -- you can live your life serving the dollar (choose your master) or you can learn to not sweat the small stuff. Anyone who would go to all the trouble to take a phone back to one store and then have to go through the hassle of buying it again at another store just to save $60.00 is a person of either very limited means or someone with screwed up priorities.

If he is not a man of limited means... then he needs to start understanding his own worth as a person, the value of his time and the value of his energies. Spend what you have wisely... and that includes every aspect of your spiritual being as well as your cash. I bought my phone at Verizon and lost that rebate ticket. I didn't worry about it... but when I went back to the store later to get an additional battery, the sales guy asked me if I sent in my rebate... I said, "ahh, I lost that, no big deal."
And he just printed me out a new one. So... I didn't anguish about a few bucks, and amazingly... it all flowed right back to me.

That jitterbug phone is what I recommend for people on a budget or for those who "serve the dollar."

Last edited:

RushInRed

Reaction score
I agree with Zippster

what's wrong with any one trying to save money
Its out right mean and a nasty attitude to take that kind of position the guy simply asked for suggestions
not for you to judge him or his finicial status

the forum moderator should ban you from this forum i sure would if it was my website

at best buy you get the phone with the deductions already added no mail in rebate

its the same phone as verizion sales

and best buy offers you geek squad for 9 dollars a month for anything that goes wrong with your phone

less dropping it into a lake

other than that no questions asked especially with the 30 day period when you first get it

see my post on my first droid in im new here forum

good luck on your choices

:reddroid:

Twoo

Reaction score
Its out right mean and a nasty attitude to take that kind of position the guy simply asked for suggestions

the forum moderator should ban you from this forum i sure would if it was my website

at best buy you get the phone with the deductions already added no mail in rebate

and best buy offers you geek squad for 9 dollars a month for anything that goes wrong with your phone

other than that no questions asked especially with the 30 day period when you first get it

Well I got my phone at Verizon, and guess what? I can throw it in a lake and get a new one the next day with their phone insurance program- and it's cheaper than Best Buys.

:icon_ banana:

Zippster

Reaction score
False sense of protection indeed as the manufacturer warranty is covered by the manufacturer NOT the sales company.

Bought my phone at Wally world, no lines on release morning and saved me about $25 off the price and $100 in rebate crap, I have been back to Verizon several times since for small issues as they are a distributor for Motorola and warrantys. Purchased the insurance through Verizon as well and thus all further issues also will be resolved by them, so money and time saved on my end and same protection you have.

Cars, would I spend $500 additional for one dealership? Not a chance, I would buy it from where I get the best deal as thats the dealer who wants my business the most. Just an FYI, it doesnt matter which dealer you buy your Chevy, Ford etc from, you can take it to ANY dealer of the same manufacturer for repairs as it is all warranty work paid for by the main Ford, Chevy etc. NOT the dealer. Obviously used cars or additional add ons you may purchase from that particular dealer wouldnt apply.

So save money, shop smart and your still covered just as well as those who over pay.

Twoo

Reaction score
False sense of protection indeed as the manufacturer warranty is covered by the manufacturer NOT the sales company.

Bought my phone at Wally world, no lines on release morning and saved me about $25 off the price and $100 in rebate crap, I have been back to Verizon several times since for small issues as they are a distributor for Motorola and warrantys. Purchased the insurance through Verizon as well and thus all further issues also will be resolved by them, so money and time saved on my end and same protection you have.

Cars, would I spend $500 additional for one dealership? Not a chance, I would buy it from where I get the best deal as thats the dealer who wants my business the most. Just an FYI, it doesnt matter which dealer you buy your Chevy, Ford etc from, you can take it to ANY dealer of the same manufacturer for repairs as it is all warranty work paid for by the main Ford, Chevy etc. NOT the dealer. Obviously used cars or additional add ons you may purchase from that particular dealer wouldnt apply.

So save money, shop smart and your still covered just as well as those who over pay.

FYI, if you did not purchase the vehicle at the dealership they can refuse you a loaner car. Also, never heard of having your own service advisor?

I've bought my last 3 cars from the same dealership- used the same service advisor. Because I'm a loyal customer I get certain benefits- ie: loaner car ALWAYS, will deliver my vehicle to my work and pick up the loaner, discounts for purchasing it there, etc, etc.

After working in the auto business for 3 years I can tell you that there's many benefits from purchasing, even if the price is higher, from a dealership that has a history of good customer service.

We call people like you auto orphans and grinders. People who only care about the price, but complain about the quality of service they receive.

Best :icon_ banana:

Zippster

Reaction score

Well I got my phone at Verizon, and guess what? I can throw it in a lake and get a new one the next day with their phone insurance program- and it's cheaper than Best Buys.

:icon_ banana:

And I bought mine at Wally world ( which I hate, lol but no lines or rebates crap ) and can throw it in the same lake and get a new one too. ;) Verizon sells the insurance as a separate item, no matter where the phone is from.

I do agree chasing pricing is ridiculous if continued because with all items in drops constantly and quite quickly, I dont believe he was talking about doing this but simply trying to get the best deal seeing as though he pretty much just purchased it.

raqball

Reaction score
Just to ask...

So the OP goes to Sears now and saved $50 after going through all the hassle of returning to Verizon and getting new one from Sears...

Next week lets say Amazon is offering for $129... Now will the OP return to Sears and go through Amazon because OP is upset that Amazon has the better deal and Sears screwed him/her?

Flash forward 3 weeks.... Lets say Verizon has them on holiday sale for $99.. Does the OP now return to Amazon and go back to Verizon because he/she wants to save the $20? Does the OP think Amazon gave him/her the shaft because Verizon now has the cheaper price...?

These are devices, not cars or houses.. Wait 2 weeks and someone will be offering a better deal on the device...

808droid

Reaction score
I would be very careful as to where you buy it from. I look at Verizon like buying a nice jacket from Macy's, high quality store, high quality product. In my line of work, I have seen people buy electronic equipment from a popular store called W------ only to see their dollars go down hill. Believe me there is crap being sold fo cheap, in brand names too!

Sometimes buying it cheap from other stores doesn't mean you're going to get a grade A product, the "grey" market does exist where stores will buy "B" quality stock at a cheaper bulk rate, be rest assured most of those products have failed test on the assembly line at the factory, then fixed. You can then buy those at a cheap price and most times the product is not marked as refurbished, because it is not, it is "Factory failures" that is fixed, then sold seperately from the A quality. Ebay is another example of many "B" stock being sold.

Buying factory direct is always best!