i have a hypothesis: droid owners NOT necesarrily getting the short end of the stick

tktouch12

Reaction score
i know some people feel cheated having boughten a droid, because every month a better, new and improved model comes out. i personally am probably one of the worst. (i have commitment issues..) But, in two years, when a million of us droid users will have our contracts expire, the phones will be peaking much stronger than they are now.
this probably doesn't make sense because new "superphones" are coming out every week. but, the superphones of 2012 will be lightyears above the superphones of 2011 (much farther ahead than 2011 was to 2010, respectivally).
why? well, (THIS IS MY OWN WEIRD PERSONAL OPINION (that probably makes no sense (which i'm probably jus saying to make myself feel better))) the superphone of 2012 will pretty much be at the spot where they can replace laptops.
in one years time, we will get the specs pretty much nailed down. 1.5 gb ram. 1.5 ghz processor. (yes i know outrageous, but every week they grow ton with each phone so why not). but these will take time to perfect and ballance out with battery life and performance, and weight, and bugs, and features, so in 2 years they will be perfect. ALSO, if an iphone comes out in the next year, that will only feed the laptop-replacing phone revolution. with all the specs, features, accesories, and perfection of future (2 year) superphones. BUT,... why wont they keep growing this rapidly after 2 years, well because they will be so poweful and laptop replacing, that small tweaks, features, and specs will be added the next year, then in 4 years, well Who Knows..

thank you, i hope this made some sense, but i really just wanted to type it out to make myself feel better, and to see if ANYONE agrees. (and i hope you could understand my arguments).
I thought the entire thing up in like 20 minutes, so its not put together greatly.

p.s.- they will replace laptops eventually. its not even a question. Soon bluetooth keyboards will be small and portable and very easy to use on a phone. (i figure that is the one thing that makes laptops a question, the keyboard, but a tiny foldable BT keyboard can fix that.

Edit: I forgot: why now if android has been out for years? Well that's simply because android was on tmobile and is now on every network and with the droid campaign has quickly become the forefront operating system for smartphones

Edit 2: honestly, I LOVE my droid, I'm not saying I'm already ready to upgrade, I'm not THAT discontent of a person. However, I think many droid users get a little envy when they hear about a phone with specs twice as good. BUT I REALLY AM CONTENT WITH MY DROID, I JUST WANTED TO SEE IF ANYONE AGREES WITH MY PROPOSITION

Last edited:

kennyg23

Reaction score
I agree with you completely. There will always be something better within a few months, if not weeks, of you buying anything electronic.

FireDroid

Reaction score
Yep, just like cars! From year to year they make minor changes and upgrades but every couple years or so they redesign one that blows away the previous model and all around it! lol

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I agree to a point.....Doubt I will last anywhere close to the full 2 years on the Droid, It's never happened before with me and any phone.

My cell could never replace my laptop, unless it can run AutoCAD and Navis with dual 30" Screens....

FireDroid

Reaction score
I have been trying to save my marriage by not buying the latest and greatest! The last thing I did that was the PS3! My wife had gotten me one for a Bday gift then 6 months later here comes the slim one, well needless to say I sold off the fatty and got a slim on day one! I almost passed out trying to explain to her why I "needed" the slim! lol

GiantDroid

Reaction score
Last time I bought something on the release day was the original XBox. I didn't regret it then, don't regret the Droid now. The technology gets better, but if you stand around waiting for "the next best thing" you'll miss out on it all together. The Droid is an awesome phone, and yes it will be replaced with something even better in the near future. But trying to stay on the bleeding edge will cost you an arm and a leg. For fanboys, I guess that's ok. For the rest of us that have families and other financial responsibilities, the occasional splurge to be on the edge should be savored.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the only way to stay up to date in electronics is the buy the latest thing out, basically a new purchase probably every 2 months. I am simply amazed at how fast new technology comes out. I never have felt that I got the short end of the stick in my purchase of the Droid. I mean the Nexus One is nice, but it doesn't have the physical keyboard like the Droid does, yes that is a deal breaker to me.

2 years from now when my contract is up i'll have that feeling of a "real upgrade". The software/hardware will be much improved from now. For now, I love my Droid and we all know the device is nowhere near it's full potential yet. 2.1 and Flash are just two things to mention when it comes to this device, it will really expand what we can do with this phone. We're all in the same rollercoaster of owning the Droid, we don't really know what's coming next and even if we do, we don't know how it's going to change how we use our phones.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
Obviously it won't completely get rid of laptops but it will end the short life of netbooks, and laptops won't need to be taken everywhere. And yes what I'm saying is this year and 2 years from now will be the BIG change years.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have to say this is the first time I've been in a happy "marriage" and am not looking for another device.

Droid will keep me satisfied easily for the next year to year and a half.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have to say this is the first time I've been in a happy "marriage" and am not looking for another device.

Droid will keep me satisfied easily for the next year to year and a half.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
By short end of the stick I just mean that some owners are dissapointed that the droid gets beaten every week with the release of a new phone that's even better

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
By short end of the stick I just mean that some owners are dissapointed that the droid gets beaten every week with the release of a new phone that's even better

Other than maybe the N1...Name a phone that does beat the Droid?

hughesjr

Reaction score
Well, when you can display the video on your 52" TV, have a 128GB Flashcard for storage, and you can have a full Bluetooth Keyboard, I think the phone can replace a laptop. It is not that far off.

I already use the Droid to read the news and read my e-mails all the time now.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm content. my Droids potential has yet to be tapped. This device has in no way peaked. Of course better things will come out in the meantime... but I need a short coming with the Droid for me to want another device.... and so far nothing that warrants that desire.