I hate to do another what Phone threads....

padams27

Reaction score
But, I need some honest advice and direction from people that know phones and are not trying to sell me something.

I have a 1st generation Droid that is deciding slowly but surely to fail. Camera has a big dark spot, slow on later software, 3G will not come back on if I turn off wi-fi (have to turn off the phone to get it back), and battery won't hold a charge (I know I could replace battery - but other issues tell me it is time).

Anyway, I have priorities in what I want:

1. Verizon (Best coverage in my area and have my unlimited data I do not want to lose)
2. Stereo Bluetooth (I ride a motorcycle and just got a helmet that supports stereo bluetooth)
3. Android (Not a fan of itunes specifically and the IPhone in general - though I think most agree here on that anyway).
4. Very capable (I use my phone for tons of tasks - I am a heavy data user often exceeding 5 gigs a month).
5. Nice screen (watch alot)

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I can't comment on stereo blutooth because I don't know a lot about it, but any of the top handsets should handle that fine.

I'd recommend the Rezound because it has a great display (720p...the best pixel density of any phone right now, including the iPhone) and it has the best reception of any Verizon Android phone right now. It's 4G and GPS are the best I have seen so far. It's voice reception is great as well.

The other phones I would recommend are (in order of best to worst):

LG Spectrum
Galaxy Nexus
Razr Maxx

This is ONLY based on the priorities you listed. If your top priorities are a nice display and good (data) reception, the Rezound is at the top of the list IMO. None of these phones is the best at everything...they all have specific strengths and weaknesses. So what is "best" will depend on what you want.

JRParsons

Reaction score
If you spend a lot of time on your bike, then I would rule out any of the phones with non-removable batteries. (either of the razors) especially if you use the navigation on the bike. (I do, and it flys through the battery, I just keep a spare or two in my pocket)
The Razor max has an awesome battery, but if your 100 miles from home with no way to charge it your screwed.
As stated above, the rezound has the best screen of the top tier phones out now. (except in sunlight)
I have the Thunderbolt, the predecessor to the Rezound, it works fine for stereo bluetooth to my Cardo scala g4, I use the car dock on my bikes with the gps and Pandora etc.
A lot of people who come from Moto phones don't like Sense (the HTC interface) I really like it. There will probably be a learning curve, not to mention trying to slide out a keyboard that ain't there.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Get the Extended battery. Problem solved.

My Rezound has one. I can go 24 hours between charges if I have to. I can go a 12 hour day with normal use (4G on, brightness full).

The Rezound does not have the best display IMO. The Spectrum does. The Spectrum is brighter and has deeper blacks. The Spectrum is an IPS display...LG makes the IPS displays for the iPhones. The Rezound has the best pixel density though.

I personally don't like Sense, but I have not used it since I bought this phone...the first thing I did was install GoLauncher. The Rezound will get the ICS update soon. Then I will be using Apex Launcher probably.

OP
P

padams27

Reaction score
If you spend a lot of time on your bike, then I would rule out any of the phones with non-removable batteries. (either of the razors) especially if you use the navigation on the bike. (I do, and it flys through the battery, I just keep a spare or two in my pocket)
The Razor max has an awesome battery, but if your 100 miles from home with no way to charge it your screwed.
As stated above, the rezound has the best screen of the top tier phones out now. (except in sunlight)
I have the Thunderbolt, the predecessor to the Rezound, it works fine for stereo bluetooth to my Cardo scala g4, I use the car dock on my bikes with the gps and Pandora etc.
A lot of people who come from Moto phones don't like Sense (the HTC interface) I really like it. There will probably be a learning curve, not to mention trying to slide out a keyboard that ain't there.

Battery life is not an issue for me. I can plug in up to four USB devices on my motorcycle at a time and have plenty of access everywhere else.

Keyboard vs. virtual keyboard is definitely something to think about - texting would be no big deal, or searching as those are relatively simple things. But, I do a lot of crossword puzzles.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Battery life is not an issue for me. I can plug in up to four USB devices on my motorcycle at a time and have plenty of access everywhere else.

Keyboard vs. virtual keyboard is definitely something to think about - texting would be no big deal, or searching as those are relatively simple things. But, I do a lot of crossword puzzles.
The only real choice for a hardware keyboard is the Droid 4. And the Droid 4 has arguably the best keyboard you can get right now on a phone...I don't think I have seen any phone that beats it for that. And it has pretty good reception from what I have heard. 64 gig SD cards have been confirmed to work on the Razr and Rezound.

BUT...

qHD display (and I have seen complaints about color accuracy...it probably has the worst display of any of the phones mentioned here). No removable battery (it is embedded). And it doesn't have the high capacity battery of the Maxx. So you will be plugging it in a lot.

I also came from the Droid 1, but since Froyo, Virtual Keyboards have gotten good enough that I don't miss the hardware ones. Towards the end, I was not even using the hardware keyboard on my Droid 1. Remember that these displays are a lot bigger than a Droid 1 (so keys are easier to hit) and the processors are a lot faster (so the virtual keyboards respond quicker).

rherron

Reaction score
RAZR is $99 right now. Hard to beat. Awesome device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

kparks

Reaction score
JeffDenver said:
I can't comment on stereo blutooth because I don't know a lot about it, but any of the top handsets should handle that fine.

I'd recommend the Rezound because it has a great display (720p...the best pixel density of any phone right now, including the iPhone) and it has the best reception of any Verizon Android phone right now. It's 4G and GPS are the best I have seen so far. It's voice reception is great as well.

The other phones I would recommend are (in order of best to worst):

LG Spectrum
Galaxy Nexus
Razr Maxx

This is ONLY based on the priorities you listed. If your top priorities are a nice display and good (data) reception, the Rezound is at the top of the list IMO. None of these phones is the best at everything...they all have specific strengths and weaknesses. So what is "best" will depend on what you want.

I'd go with the rezound or razr maxx but on ur bike having a removable battery will come in handy and the rezound screen is amazing but it's all in what u want and how much u want to spend right now the rezound is a steel and arguably still the best phone on vzw!