I had a thought... wait... ummm... yah I had a thought!

Reaction score
I really understand some people not wanting a lot of features on Android because they don't want a "bloated" OS. I completely understand that. I don't want a slow Android OS.

But follow me here... it should make sense... hopefully...

Think of hardware as a house, and the software (OS) as the furniture.

You can't put a lot of furniture into a small house, because it will be hard to move around, which would be the main problem. Furniture can never by itself be "too much". It depends on the host, the house. Unless you have Windows on certain PCs that come with pre-installed software (blah!).

If we kept the Android OS the way it is, and hardware gets better and better every three months (lets assume this is the average advancement rate) we will eventually have a OS that is "behind the curve". We would have a Operating System not fully sourcing its host.

Hardware and Software have hand in hand in advancing the world. Software says "hey H, the more room you give me, the better I can get", and Hardware says "ok S, the more you push me, the better we can get faster".

If you like it or not, people want, better, faster, stronger. If we kept Android OS simple (even if it is fast) we lose an edge. While at the same token Apple, Windows, etc... will be getting better hardware from device makers, and they will push the boundaries.

And guess what? If we push Android OS to be better and better, we get better hardware, an OS with more features, and more room for.... customization... that means the Exploitation Developers will have such a huger ball because they will have better hardware to optimize, and better OSs to optimize.

Its basically a win, win, win situation. For the creators, the developers, and the customers.

Remember, the more room you have, the more room you have to be creative.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I have to say that I pretty much disagree with this whole post. And yes, I am too lazy to post a whole page of counterpoints.

NathanDetroit

Reaction score
so... you're wanting to buy a house that comes furnished?

what if the furniture is ugly and uncomfortable?

OP
W
Reaction score

If it ugly and uncomfortable you should of shopped at HGTV! lol

No but seriously, if one hates the look of Android, there is Windows Mobile, and IPhone OS out there to choose from. :)

OP
W
Reaction score
I have to say that I pretty much disagree with this whole post. And yes, I am too lazy to post a whole page of counterpoints.

It doesn't have to be a whole page of counterpoints. I'm really interested in how you could counterpoint the advancement of technology.

Well, get started. Post one by one if your that lazy.

OP
W
Reaction score
I'm a idiot because my Mac mouse accidentally rated my thread a one star... Please clean your might mouses everyone... :(

NathanDetroit

Reaction score

No but seriously, if one hates the look of Android, there is Windows Mobile, and IPhone OS out there to choose from. :)

there will always be other options, ideally there's one that will closely approximate everything i'm looking for in a house (smartphone). until there are a hatful of options, however, i'd rather buy a house (smartphone) that's as close to a blank slate as possible and furnish it in a way that works best for me.

wil318466

Reaction score
I really understand some people not wanting a lot of features on Android because they don't want a "bloated" OS. I completely understand that. I don't want a slow Android OS.

You can't put a lot of furniture into a small house, because it will be hard to move around, which would be the main problem. Furniture can never by itself be "too much". It depends on the host, the house. Unless you have Windows on certain PCs that come with pre-installed software (blah!).

If we kept the Android OS the way it is, and hardware gets better and better every three months (lets assume this is the average advancement rate) we will eventually have a OS that is "behind the curve". We would have a Operating System not fully sourcing its host.

Hardware and Software have hand in hand in advancing the world. Software says "hey H, the more room you give me, the better I can get", and Hardware says "ok S, the more you push me, the better we can get faster".

If you like it or not, people want, better, faster, stronger. If we kept Android OS simple (even if it is fast) we lose an edge. While at the same token Apple, Windows, etc... will be getting better hardware from device makers, and they will push the boundaries.

And guess what? If we push Android OS to be better and better, we get better hardware, an OS with more features, and more room for.... customization... that means the Exploitation Developers will have such a huger ball because they will have better hardware to optimize, and better OSs to optimize.

Its basically a win, win, win situation. For the creators, the developers, and the customers.

Its pretty simple. Compare it to a PC, windows, and software. Same as the Droid, Android, and apps.

The problem is that Android, compared to Windows, is not up to speed. The hardware is fine. The Apps are ok, but the real issue is the apps are used to fix the OS, unlike in the PC analogy.

Stay with me here.

A common complaint is that people need to search and hunt down "apps" to "fix" their OS needs. Most things can be fixed with an App. But in Windows, do we really need to download a bunch of software to make Windows customizable? That answer is obviously no.

Yes, you need to go download Adobe to do PDF work. Yes, you need to buy Microsoft Office to use Excel, Word, etc (just an example, I know you can go get Google docs or whatever) and this is fine. Same thing in Android.

However, the BIG difference between these two examples is that you DO NOT need to download multiple software apps for Windows to customize it, unlike Android.

Android needs to be more customizable. Whether they incorporate into their OS or realease some sort of "Tweak UI" package for Android, something needs to be done. Everyone inquires about being able to change thy the phone locks, the color of the notifications, or changing what screen the phone defaults to after you hang up.

I really think most people would be happy if the Android OS just had more options to customize out of the box, with less of a need for someone out there to write an app to do something that in my opinion should have been included in the OS.

But, maybe thats just me. Obviously I'm nuts, since it seems no one agrees with me.

-Wil

OP
W
Reaction score

there will always be other options, ideally there's one that will closely approximate everything i'm looking for in a house (smartphone). until there are a hatful of options, however, i'd rather buy a house (smartphone) that's as close to a blank slate as possible and furnish it in a way that works best for me.

People want customization... or better yet... the users that root mostly want customization. I haven't once heard any of the majority of the Android market say "I got this for its customization" they say things like "woah this is a cool ass phone, its a iPhone killer I hear".

When we get better, and better hardware, Google will step their OSs up along with the hardware these manufactures present. We can't help it. See how Nexus 1 came with live wallpapers? Something that can make a system bloated? We can't help it. It won't bloat the system because Nexus 1 technically has more of an advanced hardware.

Thus, Google is trusting themselves, and their manufactures, while slightly listening to what the majority want. Google is trying to change technology. Thats been their goal since day one. They are trying to be creative.

Unfortunately, "slated" doesn't equate with "creativity" most of the time when we are talking natively.

Think about it. We have Text Edit (OSX), Notepad (W), iWork, and Microsoft Office... years ago Microsoft Word wasn't what it was now. Its advancement. And lets be honest, there are plenty of things in Microsoft Office that people won't use, and probably think that is "junk". Same way running Microsoft Office on a crappy CPU will make it crash.

As hardware gets better and better, so will the software. History can prove it, Present can prove it.

Yes, some will not like some features, as some do not like live wallpaper, extra screens, etc... but in the end it is Google's OS whom they have a team of... developers are constantly trying to go beyond keeping up, and are headed to go past. Especially since Steve has started the direct war of Apple vs Google, Steve already has a "A+ upgrade" for iPhone coming out soon, which without a doubt include hardware improvements, and software improvements.

Make no mistake, Apple wants to stop us... we can't let them. I love Apple vs Google because its pushing them ahead and ahead of the curve.

K

killabyte

There is nothing to debate. Its a stupid analogy and that's the end of it. Software takes up space on a storage device, not the OS. Its the software's processes that use real resources and in most cases if the program isn't running its not using anything but space which has no effect on speed UNLESS your space is very limited.

Not a problem anymore with today's storage solutions. If space was that big of an issue this forum and every other one that is hosted on this server would run like crap from all the wasted space by useless posts on this forum.

OP
W
Reaction score

Its pretty simple. Compare it to a PC, windows, and software. Same as the Droid, Android, and apps.

The problem is that Android, compared to Windows, is not up to speed. The hardware is fine. The Apps are ok, but the real issue is the apps are used to fix the OS, unlike in the PC analogy.

Stay with me here.

A common complaint is that people need to search and hunt down "apps" to "fix" their OS needs. Most things can be fixed with an App. But in Windows, do we really need to download a bunch of software to make Windows customizable? That answer is obviously no.

Yes, you need to go download Adobe to do PDF work. Yes, you need to buy Microsoft Office to use Excel, Word, etc (just an example, I know you can go get Google docs or whatever) and this is fine. Same thing in Android.

However, the BIG difference between these two examples is that you DO NOT need to download multiple software apps for Windows to customize it, unlike Android.

Android needs to be more customizable. Whether they incorporate into their OS or realease some sort of "Tweak UI" package for Android, something needs to be done. Everyone inquires about being able to change thy the phone locks, the color of the notifications, or changing what screen the phone defaults to after you hang up.

I really think most people would be happy if the Android OS just had more options to customize out of the box, with less of a need for someone out there to write an app to do something that in my opinion should have been included in the OS.

But, maybe thats just me. Obviously I'm nuts, since it seems no one agrees with me.

-Wil

If you are nuts, then I will be nuts with you.

Theoretically, you can go download extra applications to change the themes of OS X, Windows etc... etc... but they plan on and have added theme change out of the box.

I agree with you fully. Unfortunately people here (some, mostly) think about what they want, and don't need, without looking on a grander scope. The larger market of any product wins. They get tended to the most. People in general, want things "out of the box". Could you imagine IPods, IPhones, Droids, etc... came without a USB chord, or charger? People would be pissed! lol

My thing is, Google isn't going to win a war, sitting on it saying "lets just make it clean slate" because it will get "stale". Marketing 101, when maintaining a product, keep your customers on their toes, involve new ideas. You seem to get that, some... not so well.

wil318466

Reaction score
There is nothing to debate. Its a stupid analogy and that's the end of it. Software takes up space on a storage device, not the OS. Its the software's processes that use real resources and in most cases if the program isn't running its not using anything but space which has no effect on speed UNLESS your space is very limited.

Not a problem anymore with today's storage solutions. If space was that big of an issue this forum and every other one that is hosted on this server would run like crap from all the wasted space by useless posts on this forum.

That wasn't the point he was trying to make. He used the "size of the house" idea but we all know he meant OS power vs hardware power and speed, not storage space.

-Wil

OP
W
Reaction score

Ok, ok... how to handle people like you...

Ok.

Software takes up space on a storage device, not the OS. Its the software's processes that use real resources and in most cases if the program isn't running its not using anything but space which has no effect on speed UNLESS your space is very limited.

Not a problem anymore with today's storage solutions.

Do you know, you just agreed with me? :heart:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do agree that Android should have some more customization out-of-the-box. Things like themes and such should be accessible even to the novice user.

If you like it or not, people want, better, faster, stronger. If we kept Android OS simple (even if it is fast) we lose an edge.
You're confusing "simple" with not bloated. The OS doesn't have to be simple to not be bloated with every conceivable option that everyone could possible want. The whole point of Android (for me) is that it's extensible. I can make it what I want without having to deal with all the other junk that everyone else in the world wants that I'll never use.

Should a PC OS come loaded with every app out there? We already complain when manufacturers load all their crap that we have to clean up out of the box. Same thing, IMO but there's some stuff you can't remove from Android without rooting.

If we kept the Android OS the way it is, and hardware gets better and better every three months (lets assume this is the average advancement rate) we will eventually have a OS that is "behind the curve".
It's going to take a long time before that's an issue. Why are you assuming that Android would remain static anyway? The various versions that already exist don't support the assumption that you're making.

People want customization... or better yet... the users that root mostly want customization.
If the basis of your argument is that Android needs to appeal to more people then catering to those that root isn't the way to go as they're a small minority.