I didn't know you can block numbers and email addresses.

sustained

Reaction score
I thought I would post this in case anyone else has unwanted calls, texts or emails, from the same number or email address over and over.

Login to My Verizon, then:

My Verizon> My Services tab> Set Spam Controls on right menu. There's 2 tabs:

- Call & Messaging Blocking
- Internet Spam Blocking for emails

The limitations are:

- You can only block 5 call/text numbers, and 15 email addresses.
- The blocks expire after 90 days but you can re-block them again.

NOTE:

The first time I tried to enter a number a message box pop-up said, "The number can't be added now try later". After many tries all day I emailed Customer Service. I was pleasantly surprised, in about an hour they actually called me back. He said he added the Blocking Feature to my account and that it will now work. And assured me that their was no additional charge.

In short, you might have to get Verizon to activate the Blocking Feature first if it doesn't work for you.

Parental Controls

Also, under the Verizon Safeguards drop down menu on left, is Parental Controls. It looks like it gives you more blocking options for kid's phones, and I assume your own. But it seems to be $4.99 per month per line.

EDIT: Read my additional posts further below about activating the Blocking Feature online without having to call Customer Service.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great info. I wonder if that will stop text messages too. I hate getting text from people soliciting something.

OP
S

sustained

Reaction score
Great info. I wonder if that will stop text messages too.

Yes, if you enter a phone number under the Call & Messaging Blocking tab it will block calls and text/picture/video messages.

OP
S

sustained

Reaction score
I just got another response from my email to Customer Service:

"The call and message block must be added on before it can be used by any customer."

So you do need to contact Verizon to add the Blocking Feature. But as I said before it's free.

OP
S

sustained

Reaction score
OK, it looks like you can go online to sign up for the Blocking Feature. Go to Verizon's online texting page:

http://www.vtext.com

Sign in using your My Verizon login.

Under Text Messaging, click Preferences> Spam Control> Sign up

Enough already.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Goodbye ex-finance's drunk dials! HUZZAH.
good.gif

mattygabe

Reaction score
I guess there's no way to block unknown numbers?
You don't want any phone calls from Nigerian princes wishing to bestow upon you their vast wealth? Aww, too bad.

I thought I saw an option somewhere in Android to block phonecalls from certain numbers? Maybe it was just "go-to-voicemail", which is almost as good I'd think.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess there's no way to block unknown numbers?
You don't want any phone calls from Nigerian princes wishing to bestow upon you their vast wealth? Aww, too bad.

I thought I saw an option somewhere in Android to block phonecalls from certain numbers? Maybe it was just "go-to-voicemail", which is almost as good I'd think.

If you have a contact set up, you can open that contact and choose Options, you can then select a specific ringtone for that person or check the 'Send calls directly to voicemail' feature. However, there isn't any way to block unknown numbers as yet. Hope that helps!

DeeJay_NYC

Reaction score
This thread helped me out a great deal. Thanks everyone! I noticed a strange email-generated text/pic message that kept showing up on my VerizonBill each month. I was determined to find a way to cut 'im off! This information is good. BUT, note: If you have an account with multiple numbers associated with it, like I do, AND if the number getting the internet spam is OTHER than the primary number, THEN that secondary account holder will have to set up their own separate MyVerizon account in order to access the Internet Spam Blocking feature. (The separate setup is painless. Just go to verizonwireless.com to register that secondary line.)

DeeJay_NYC

Reaction score
OK. Well, I'll see, when I look at next month's VerizonWireless bill, whether or not the filter I put in worked or not.

Thanks for the clarification.