I cannot download apps from droid market

DraH-oid

Reaction score
Hi, I cannot download apps from droid market the window shows currently downloading/ starting download, but just hangs and no download ever happens (showed this for like 40 min). Please Help!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try going into settings/applications/manage applications choosing Market and clearing Data and Cache

Sent from my Droid

blunik

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue, they never download, and sometimes if they do they never install (handcent sms update doing this today).

I've cleared the cache multiple times and still not working. This has been happening for a few weeks now...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jeffe65

Reaction score
I had the same issue; clearing data/cache didn't work. Mine was solved when I moved apps from the sdcard back to the phone. This may be made worse by running Launcher Pro or another home screen app. Also, are you running a custom ROM?

blunik

Reaction score
Not rooted... although I'm tech savvy, I'm still nervous about rooting.

I am running launcher pro...

Handcent update installed after reboot, still 2 updates in download state though. They don't show on the notification bar though.

blunik

Reaction score
I would fast run out of memory if I moved any apps back from sd... =(

jeffe65

Reaction score
If you're not rooted and have an app like AppMonster, use that to uninstall apps to save memory. It saves older versions, so you'll still have them even if you do root & flash a different ROM. If you are rooted, you can also use Titanium Backup for the same thing; it saves data as well, though sometimes that's an issue in itself.

What it boiled down to for me was, moving apps to the sdcard became a problem, and was made 10x worse using Launcher Pro, and compounded again by using a custom ROM and trying to restore old data. Now I have nothing installed to the sdcard, and haven't had any issues. I may get brave and try again sometime, but I used to have 190+ apps on my phone; now I'm down to "only" 85 or so.

Okay, I'll admit it - I'm an app junkie...

blunik

Reaction score
Okay... would the download/install issues only be affecting apps that are on sd? For the most part that isn't the case here, certainly not with handcent. Just curious if that is the 'link' or if the mere fact that anything is stored on sd can cause this. I do think there may be a launcher pro link, I only used open home until a few weeks ago.

Also, while I'm an app junkie, I still have almost 13 gig free on sd, so it's not an issue of overload there...

Thanks for all your help!

stephenandrew

Reaction score
You can download android apps by the following procedure, also check your wifi connection:
1. Navigate to an item you want to install and select it. The item details screen appears. Read more about the item and its developer on this screen.
2. If you want to install the item, select either the Install or Buy now button.
* If you select Install, then the item will start downloading immediately.
* If you select Buy now , you may be asked to sign in to an additional Google account. Sign in and select Purchase now if you want to proceed. Step through the purchase screens.

Here is you can remove android app

jeffe65

Reaction score
Okay... would the download/install issues only be affecting apps that are on sd? For the most part that isn't the case here, certainly not with handcent. Just curious if that is the 'link' or if the mere fact that anything is stored on sd can cause this. I do think there may be a launcher pro link, I only used open home until a few weeks ago.

Also, while I'm an app junkie, I still have almost 13 gig free on sd, so it's not an issue of overload there...

Thanks for all your help!

For me, it didn't matter whether the apps in question were on the sdcard or not. What was happening was, the OS was looking for the link info, and evidently the Droid sometimes has a problem with this. Every time I went to Settinngs > Applications > Manage Applications, every app under every heading would read "Computing..." in all the details sections (Data, Cache, etc.). As long as that was the case, nothing would install, and the apps on the sdcard didn't show up in the app drawer. After a number of reboots, the details finally cleared, and I took that opportunity to remove the installed apps from the sdcard, and the problem was solved.

I don't know how the Droid manages information from apps installed to an external source, but that seems to be a weak area. There may be a workaround; there are sometimes settings/commands in Terminal Emulator for rooted users, but I haven't found one yet. Also, all of the apps I had on the card were "standalone", like games and things of that nature. Being limited to 256MB is a pain when you want to make full use of the things these phones can do, but I'm searching in the mean time for a solution.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Unfortunately the only way to wipe out your data cache(s) on an unrooted phone is with a full hardware reset. When you start getting problems like this on a rooted phone you can install an app like cachemate or simply boot into recovery and wipe out the data cache to see if it solves the issue. It often does, which is why it's suggested that rooted users erase their data (but not system!) cache every couple of weeks for peak performance and stability.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that if the problem persists you'll have to do a hardware reset -- but if you use a couple apps to back up your text messages and as much data as you can you'll have a minimal restore time and frustration level if you do have to go that route.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hookbill has an app to clear cache for unrooted phones on his D2. I can't remember the name and I think I deleted the message from him about it. No root means that you have to clear it individually vs one click with root though.

Unfortunately the only way to wipe out your data cache(s) on an unrooted phone is with a full hardware reset. When you start getting problems like this on a rooted phone you can install an app like cachemate or simply boot into recovery and wipe out the data cache to see if it solves the issue. It often does, which is why it's suggested that rooted users erase their data (but not system!) cache every couple of weeks for peak performance and stability.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that if the problem persists you'll have to do a hardware reset -- but if you use a couple apps to back up your text messages and as much data as you can you'll have a minimal restore time and frustration level if you do have to go that route.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Quick App Cache Cleaner its .83 though.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)