I asked the wrong question yesterday

graygrannyonate

Reaction score
For those of you that tried to make sense out of what I was asking yesterday, thanks. I didn't make sense.

Here is the real issue.

All of my phone numbers are syncing to my gmail account causing so much clutter when I use email.

I want 1) in my phone - all email addresses and phone numbers
2) Only my email addresses in my gmail account.

I looked for a way to filter the contacts in gmail, but am unable, with my newbie brain to figure out anything.
I haven't tried Outlook because I think that goes through gmail.

So, how do I keep my phone numbers out of my gmail account?

Suggestions, thoughts, apps, tutorials . . . .

Thanks!
Debbie

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can't just delete those phone contacts off your GMail account's contacts list? I did so and I don't remember if they came back yet...

mcapozzi

Reaction score
For those of you that tried to make sense out of what I was asking yesterday, thanks. I didn't make sense.

Here is the real issue.

All of my phone numbers are syncing to my gmail account causing so much clutter when I use email.

I want 1) in my phone - all email addresses and phone numbers
2) Only my email addresses in my gmail account.

I looked for a way to filter the contacts in gmail, but am unable, with my newbie brain to figure out anything.
I haven't tried Outlook because I think that goes through gmail.

So, how do I keep my phone numbers out of my gmail account?

Suggestions, thoughts, apps, tutorials . . . .

Thanks!
Debbie

I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't want phone numbers in your GMail contacts for people that are already in there anyways. It isn't like GMail uses the phone numbers for anything.

-Mike

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I doubt this is possible. You might be able to do something with groups but then you'd have to have either:

- Duplicate contacts in gmail -- one with email, one with email and phone.
- Disable sync between your Droid and gmail.

Both have serious drawbacks. Why can't you just leave contacts alone and let them sync? What are you attempting to accomplish? All I can see is that you'll end up making things that much more complicated (and prone to issues) for no real benefit.

On the Droid you can't select a contact as an email recipient unless the contact has an email address. You can't select a contact to dial or message unless the contact has a phone number.

I could almost see why you might not want contacts without email addresses in gmail but it still doesn't seem worth the hassle to me. If you don't want to have to scroll through your contacts then just compose a new message and start typing the contact's name. You'll only be presented with suitable results and you don't even have to see the contacts that don't have an email address.

Last edited:

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe its all connected. Don't think you can organize it one way or another. If you delete part of a contact on your phone it'll erase from gmail also. Its google so it's all inter-connected. Is that right?

OP
G

graygrannyonate

Reaction score
Thank you very much.

I somehow thought that should be an easy thing to do, that I just wasn't quite in the ballpark. OK . . .so I guess I'm not even going to the ballpark. :)

Debbie