HTC Rezound - Why Is The GPS Indicator Always On?

mmcompute

Reaction score
My GPS seems to be on all of the time but I can't tell if it is just the symbol that is there by default or is it really on? I have rebooted my phone and I have no maps, navigation, or other services that require GPS presently running. The symbol is there - it looks like a cross-hair with a circle around it. When I launch maps the symbol has these "communication lines" around it that look something like this O))

So is my GPS running all of the time or only when the two little )) are present?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its not the GPS, its the location icon. When you have any of the three location options checked on, this will always be there, to get the icon off, turn off all three of the location services in the settings menu.

Schimm

Reaction score
Is there anyway to keep the flip clock and weather working without having location on? Other apps like this allow you to insert your zip so location services are not needed.

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Tapatalk.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to keep the flip clock and weather working without having location on? Other apps like this allow you to insert your zip so location services are not needed.

Not that I am aware of... went through the settings and didn't find anything.

RezoundHound

Reaction score
I can't think of a logical reason to ever turn it off. Sure, it may save some battery power, but it's not worth the disadvantages of having it off. 911 uses this to pinpoint your location in an emergency. Also, apps like Lookout Security and Wheres My Droid have locator features that will pinpoint your phone's exact location should it ever be lost or stolen. The thief will never know he's being tracked until the police show up at his door.

Where's My Droid

RH

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
After doing some browsing, it seem a few devs have made a mod that removes the indicator from the status bar, even when location settings are all turned on. never really said if the mod was for a stock rooted/unlocked Rezound or not, but haven't had a change to try it out yet.

If you're into the whole root scene, we will see this mod more often soon.

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
Its not the GPS, its the location icon. When you have any of the three location options checked on, this will always be there, to get the icon off, turn off all three of the location services in the settings menu.

Got it! Thanks for the explanation.dancedroid

Schimm

Reaction score
I tried beautiful widgets clock and weather, turned off all location boxes and that icon is still there.??????

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried beautiful widgets clock and weather, turned off all location boxes and that icon is still there.??????

Its probably always going to be there, specially since the 911 location service is always running.