HP Planning to 'aggressively attack' Smartphone & Tablet Market with Android Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hp-logo-shadowed.jpeg

We have some pretty solid industry intel that HP is going to jump back into the tablet market big time. In fact, they are also planning to "aggressively attack" the smartphone market as well, and they plan to use the Android OS to do it. Here's a quote with some of the details,

HP will “aggressively attack” both the smartphone and tablet markets, according to Jefferies analyst Peter Misek recent note to investors.

“While the move makes sense strategically, we see it as a high risk move,” Misek explained. “On top of adding costs and working capital burdens to an already stressed balance sheet, there could be additional write-offs.”

HP’s last attempt to enter the mobile space was a short-lived one. Just around a month after it launched the webOS-based HP TouchPad, the company pulled the plug on webOS, cancelled its HP Pre 3 project, all under the strong influence of then CEO Leo Apotheker.

Newly appointed Meg Whitman seems to renew HP’s somewhat lost focus in consumer products and the mobile industry and we can only hope the company brings a great Android device, competition is always welcome.

This seems like a brilliant move by HP. For one, almost all technology us evolving toward the mobile world. Two, Android pretty much owns the mobile landscape. This makes it a no-brainer move by HP, and we are looking forward to seeing what they can come up with. Would you consider owning an HP phone or tablet?

Source: PhoneArena

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
HP... no...

They've tried (like Dell) a bunch of times to get into the smartphone arena. Each attempt completely failed. They had a really good chance with WebOS but just killed it off.

BigZig

Reaction score
I would think about owning a HP smartphone or tablet. I own a Dv6 laptop and i have had zero problems with it, it is designed well and has good aesthetics. The only thing i will not be doing is jumping on the first product released. It seems now adays that OEM's are using comsumers as beta testers for their products and there are always issues out of the box. I personally will wait for those unforseen issues to be worked out before trying an HP mobile product but they do build quality products and wil give them a look for sure.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would think about owning a HP smartphone or tablet. I own a Dv6 laptop and i have had zero problems with it, it is designed well and has good aesthetics. The only thing i will not be doing is jumping on the first product released. It seems now adays that OEM's are using comsumers as beta testers for their products and there are always issues out of the box. I personally will wait for those unforseen issues to be worked out before trying an HP mobile product but they do build quality products and wil give them a look for sure.
I own a dv6t, its awesome. My laptop is an HP, my wireless keyboard and mouse is HP, my printer is HP, my laptop sleeve is HP. lol, i like HP. The fact that they would comeout with an android phone sounds pretty good. I would love that. I would not like a WebOS devise, only an Android one. Thats really not to knock on WebOS but i have so many purchased apps with android, im kinda invested into it now :happy3:. Im not going to do the same with another OS. I love android too much for that as well. An Android HP phone would be amazing. Just make it so its a very competitive device and i would buy it. It would match everything. :biggrin:

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Not for me

I loved my Palm Pre Plus, which is what I had before my Droid Bionic, but I have not had any luck with any HP product I have ever bought. WebOs was a great OS, but the hardware was crap (I understand it wasn't HP). I feel if WebOs had Motorola hardware or something along those lines of quality, it would have survived. I wouldn't buy an HP android phone.

npro1464

Reaction score
They should revive WebOS. Its a shame they gave up on it so quickly.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I will never own another hp anything. My $800 laptop that i've had for a year and a half has been nothing but trouble. The fans have quit working and the hard drive has died.

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Caesars

Reaction score
Good, I'll be able to buy more hp tablets for 80% off ;)

Return of the Android

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Not the biggest fan of HP. Everyone says they make such great computers, but I bought a $950 HP Pavilion laptop a few years back and it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune of having. I'm gonna stick with macbook pros from now on (Nothing wrong with me enjoying Apple AND Android products! :D )

npro1464

Reaction score
The more the merrier!!

Still wish HP would keep putting out WebOS devices. Maybe they could incorporate WebOS elements into their version/skin of Android.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The more the merrier!!

Still wish HP would keep putting out WebOS devices. Maybe they could incorporate WebOS elements into their version/skin of Android.

I had that same thought. Maybe create a WebOS Launcher for Android, that would be great...having the best of both worlds.

However, I would be weary, given HP's prior history in the mobile arena.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
If I remember correctly, Google bought quite a few patents related to WebOs. After playing around on ICS and JB I have seen some similarities pop up between Android and WebOs, but I don't know if that is just coincidence. The new "Recent Applications" menu of ICS and JB are similar to the cards view in WebOs. In previous versions of Android, "multitasking" was just being able to open the apps that you were using prior to your current one, where as now you can open close to the exact page you were using (similar to WebOs on opening what you were doing earlier). On GB they had a WebOs launcher, but it never worked very well and didn't get a lot of support.

"Wave Launcher" in the market, which is like WebOs https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sImNvbS5tb2JpbGVtZXJpdC53YXZlbGF1bmNoZXIiXQ..

Cards View is called "Itching Thumb": webOS like multitasking on ANDROID - Page 17 - xda-developers

I still enjoy playing around on my Pre+ and love the true multitasking capabilities it offers.

There might be newer stuff out now, but I haven't really looked in a while.