how warm does ur droid get?

bots

Reaction score
Perfectly normal. If it gets warm while you aren't using it, then you can start to worry.

praeceps

Reaction score
I notice this too. It seems to happen the most for me if I browse the internet while streaming internet radio. I notice it even more through the keyboard on the left side than through the back.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
I've only had the phone a few days, but today I did notice it getting warm when using the music player. Can't imagine why that would have done it, so maybe it was just the length of time I had it in use.

Previous Motorolas I've owned have gotten pretty warm with extended use or with charging. The Krazr really got hot.

bots

Reaction score
Whenever you drain the battery at a good clip (Wifi + GPS for example), The battery will get hot. You can blame physics for this problem, if you would so like.:)

praeceps

Reaction score
Well, the only reasons I can think of it's just drawing that much electricity and getting hot OR the processor is going that crazy OR the audio controller gets hot easy. That large speaker, that enormous screen, and plenty of data usage and multitasking WOULD use up a lot of electricity fast. I've seen it get hotter though when I do this kind of thing and it's plugged it.

praeceps

Reaction score
Whenever you drain the battery at a good clip (Wifi + GPS for example), The battery will get hot. You can blame physics for this problem, if you would so like.:)
Sorry, but it's not the battery. It's the portion above the battery. I'm guessing that's where the processor might be.

bots

Reaction score
OK lemme rephrase- If you tax the processor, it will get hot. If you use 3G for an extended period, it will get hot. If you use GPS for a while, it will get hot. If the battery drains quite a bit in a short period, it will get hot. Screen and speaker shouldn't get hot. It's normal in the smartphone world. You will get used to it. It's actually a good notification of how much you are taxing your battery.

praeceps

Reaction score
Yes, but we're curious people( I am at least ) and we'd like to know the exact part that's getting hot. I do agree though, if you do things that use a lot of energy, it gets hot.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
OK lemme rephrase- If you tax the processor, it will get hot. If you use 3G for an extended period, it will get hot. If you use GPS for a while, it will get hot. If the battery drains quite a bit in a short period, it will get hot. Screen and speaker shouldn't get hot. It's normal in the smartphone world. You will get used to it. It's actually a good notification of how much you are taxing your battery.

Makes sense. I was surfing and listening to music for an hour or so. That would definitely do it.

I just noticed that my left hand was getting warm (phone was in landscape). Can't be more specific about where other than it was the back of the phone.

bots

Reaction score
Yes, but we're curious people( I am at least ) and we'd like to know the exact part that's getting hot. I do agree though, if you do things that use a lot of energy, it gets hot.

Yeah looking at the pics of the disassembled droid, The processor(s) and their heat-sinks are all located directly above the battery compartment.

http://www.phonewreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DroidExplosion.jpg

look at the piece at the bottom near the "ph"... then orient it using the USB connection. Then you can see all the heat-sinks in that general area.

raven1911

Reaction score
Perfectly normal. If it gets warm while you aren't using it, then you can start to worry.

I actually noticed this today. It was warm in my pocket today for some reason. I think something was running I wasn't aware of.

mforman

Reaction score

I actually noticed this today. It was warm in my pocket today for some reason. I think something was running I wasn't aware of.

Mine does this occasionally as well. It gets very warm in my pocket. I noticed it yesterday and checked Advanced Task Killer which didn't show anything unusual.

I checked the temperatures with an infrared thermometer and saw the hottest reading was 102.5 above the battery area just to the left of the "with Google" mark.

Could there be some sync task that occasionally runs for a long time and uses a lot of CPU?