How to turn off USB Charge

g3a3a1

Reaction score
i tether with my droid ALOT and i don't really like the idea of it charging all the time, could anybody tell me how to turn off the usb charge. Thanks. ALso blue-tooth is out of the question because my laptop sucks and doesn't have blue tooth.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you cant do this. Why would you not want the phone to charge?

dylanthecat

Reaction score
You probably could cut the wire supplying the power to the Droid, but yea, why would you not want it to charge? You can't overcharge it by doing this.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you watch it or charge it long enough, it stops when battery is full. You wont harm it one bit.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're really worried, connect it via an unpowered hub.

ALso blue-tooth is out of the question because my laptop sucks and doesn't have blue tooth.
They do make BT dongles, you know? IIRC there are some that barely stick out from the USB port so you can leave them there if you want.

jules1964

Reaction score
Want to disable USB charging of Droid when laptop is on batter power

Here's a valid reason to want to disable USB charging. Using PDANET to tether works great via USB. I can also make it work with my bluetooth dongle. However, the issue is that when away from a power source, laptop running on battery tethering via USB drains the laptop battery.:mad: twice as fast since Droid wants to charge it's own battery. I figured I can fix that so I got my bluetooth configured. Works great only problem is that my VPN doesn't authenticate via bluetooth. I can only get my VPN (on my laptop) to connect when I'm tethered via USB. If anyone knows how to disable charging via USB when the laptop is not connected to a power source, that would be awesome. Thanks!

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Any phone I have ever had always charged when plugged into the USB. I don't think you will be able to disable this unless you made a special connector.