How to open and edit text documents

gyrobob

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to have a text document on my home PC that is accessible and editable on the Droid.

I don't care what format it is in -- MSWord or Google Doc or .txt or pdf, whatever. I just need to be able to access it and edit it from the PC and from the Droid.

It would be nice if I could do a word search it from both, but it would be acceptable for me to be able to search for a given word on just the PC like you can do with Word or Windows.

How do I do this? I have made an initial attempt with google apps and with GDocs, but apparently I am not bright enough to figure this out.

Thanks for any help,

Bob

allikanbe

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to have a text document on my home PC that is accessible and editable on the Droid.

I don't care what format it is in -- MSWord or Google Doc or .txt or pdf, whatever. I just need to be able to access it and edit it from the PC and from the Droid.

It would be nice if I could do a word search it from both, but it would be acceptable for me to be able to search for a given word on just the PC like you can do with Word or Windows.

How do I do this? I have made an initial attempt with google apps and with GDocs, but apparently I am not bright enough to figure this out.

Thanks for any help,

Bob

I bought Documents to Go from the market. I think it's $10 and worth it. Word, excel, slide show, pdf.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for any help,

Bob

I bought Documents to Go from the market. I think it's $10 and worth it. Word, excel, slide show, pdf.

I've been using Documents2Go for years on various devices and wouldn't be without it. A very minor caution, however. I've found in a few cases that what appear to be excel spreadsheets (.xls) cannot be opened by Doc2Go. I suspect that they are pseudo-excel sheets created by other programs such as Google Docs.

In any case, native Excel has no problem with them on my computer. If I then save them as true Microsoft documents there and email them to myself, Docs2Go can open and edit them without problems.

Other formats, e.g. .docx may have similar problems.

By the way, Docs2Go also solves the problem of not being able to open and work with attachments that you "preview" in the Droid Gmail application. Once in place, you can preview a document and automatically download it to your phone and edit it with the Docs2Go app.

This avoids the hassle of using your browser to access the Gmail application on the net.