How to get Mixzing to recognize my music

wormywyrm

Reaction score
Mixzing only recognizes 243 out of the 1142 songs it says it mapped on its server. :-( This sucks, because it basically makes recommendations not work with mixzing, and I was looking forward to using it.

Does anyone know how I can better get mixzing to recognize my songs?

I use Media Monkey usually, and I do a very good job at getting my artist name and title names correct, but I pretty much ignore any other information about my songs, so they dont have a correct album, year, track, etc. That is probably why mixzing doesn't notice them.

Out of curiosity, how many songs does mixzing find of yours? Go to Settings > Status and it will say 'songs mapeed on server' and 'songs known by server'.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been using Mixzing for a month or so now and have had no problems. I went "menu/settings/select music folders. I had previously put all my music and audiobooks in a folder titled Music. And it sees all of them.

OP
wormywyrm

wormywyrm

Reaction score
I just used an add on called musicIP tagger for MusicMonkey to get almost all the album names/years for my songs, hopefully that will fix this problem. :) Moving the files to the droid now...

Psychokitty

Reaction score
Since a solution seems to have been found, I feel like less of a threadjacker;
Does Mixzing play videos? It sees them, but what's the point? Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem to give the option to play them with the app of your choice, either. Feels like unfinished work, if that's true.
I really do like Mixzing over the stock music player. great features & great layout.

mpenda

Reaction score
You might want to look at the filetypes on the music MixZing doesn't see and make sure they aren't DRM files!!!
If you haven't stripped the DRM, your Droid won't play them.

funken

Reaction score
Finally got Mixzing to recognize songs. Am I correct that it only plays a 30sec clip to recommend songs? I thought it would play the whole song... kind of like a Pandora using your own playlist.

QiG

Reaction score
Finally got Mixzing to recognize songs. Am I correct that it only plays a 30sec clip to recommend songs? I thought it would play the whole song... kind of like a Pandora using your own playlist.

This is what I was understanding Mixzing to be as well, a "Pandora" type app that uses your own music collection. Did we misunderstand the app in thinking so?

mixzing

Reaction score

This is what I was understanding Mixzing to be as well, a "Pandora" type app that uses your own music collection. Did we misunderstand the app in thinking so?

Hi, I'm one of the MixZing developers. MixZing is actually like Pandora for your own music, in that when you start playing a song (or set of songs like an album or playlist) from your own library it will automatically fill your queue with similar songs from your library. These of course will play full-length, since you own them and have them loaded on your phone. Rating the recommendations (or just listening to or skipping them) will update them, hopefully zeroing in on what you want to listen to at the moment.

MixZing will also make recommendations for new music that you don't have on your phone, which you can listen to 30-second previews of by going to Menu->New Music from the main player screen. We've been going through the tortuous process of getting approved to be able to sell music, and soon you'll be able to buy tracks you like from here, but in the meantime you can preview them and then go find them elsewhere if you like. (If you have the Amazon MP3 app installed when you press the song title one of the options should be to search on Amazon, and you can do that and buy it that way.)

We'd love to be able to stream new music like Pandora does, but given the licensing costs it's just not feasible at the moment, as imeem and others have shown. So for now you can listen to your own music and previews of new music.

As for not playing videos, an Android update broke that. We have a fix for it that will be out within the week, along with some other updates.

And as for recognizing your songs, it's true that at the moment they need to be pretty well tagged in order for us to know what they are. The good news is that we're going to release an update in the next month or so that will allow us to recognize even untagged songs, so that should help a lot.

Thanks for the support, and do let us know if you have any problems or suggestions.

-- Peter

devil94

Reaction score
MixZing will also make recommendations for new music that you don't have on your phone, which you can listen to 30-second previews of by going to Menu->New Music from the main player screen. We've been going through the tortuous process of getting approved to be able to sell music, and soon you'll be able to buy tracks you like from here, but in the meantime you can preview them and then go find them elsewhere if you like. (If you have the Amazon MP3 app installed when you press the song title one of the options should be to search on Amazon, and you can do that and buy it that way.)

-- Peter

I'm assuming the New Music feature is not available in the Lite version - please confirm.

QiG

Reaction score

Hi, I'm one of the MixZing developers. MixZing is actually like Pandora for your own music, in that when you start playing a song (or set of songs like an album or playlist) from your own library it will automatically fill your queue with similar songs from your library. These of course will play full-length, since you own them and have them loaded on your phone. Rating the recommendations (or just listening to or skipping them) will update them, hopefully zeroing in on what you want to listen to at the moment.

We'd love to be able to stream new music like Pandora does, but given the licensing costs it's just not feasible at the moment, as imeem and others have shown. So for now you can listen to your own music and previews of new music.

Thanks for the support, and do let us know if you have any problems or suggestions.

-- Peter

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the boards and thanks for the quick response and confirming the features of Mixzing. I messed with a few players this week and ultimately decided on Mixzing either way. The only suggestions I could offer are maybe adding an option to let the camera button pause playback, manual tag editing and enabling the + - feature when you choose "shuffle all" from the main screen.

OP
wormywyrm

wormywyrm

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, Mixzing now recognizes 100% of my songs, way more than I thought it would. :)

It was actually incredibly easy once I figured out how to correctly tag my songs using MediaMonkey, which using an add-on can upload a portion of your song to the internet, identify it (ala, shazam), and update your tags and album art. It was so easy that I recommend to Peter to put a post on the mixzing website/forum/somewhere about how to tag your songs correctly out of mixzing and focus your programming attention to something else (how about ratings and lyrics?).

Thank you very much for the program, I really love it!

And to go into detail on how I easily tagged my songs, I used MediaMonkey (an amazing program for playing and organizing music) and the add-on called musicIP tagger. I highly recommend it for musiczing users and music enthusiasts in general too!

mixzing

Reaction score
I'm assuming the New Music feature is not available in the Lite version - please confirm.

Sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed notification of your post. Yes, the New Music feature definitely is available in the Lite version, although it's not too obvious. If you have recommendations available then you will see a New Music option in the Menu from the now playing screen (the screen with the player controls). If you don't have any recommendations then it probably means we couldn't recognize enough of the song(s) you are playing. Also make sure you have recommendations enabled in Settings.

Welcome to the boards and thanks for the quick response and confirming the features of Mixzing. I messed with a few players this week and ultimately decided on Mixzing either way. The only suggestions I could offer are maybe adding an option to let the camera button pause playback, manual tag editing and enabling the + - feature when you choose "shuffle all" from the main screen.

Thanks for the feedback. We're definitely looking at supporting the phone buttons to control playback. And we'll be adding tag editing in the next few months, along with identification of poorly tagged songs.

As for the + and - buttons, those are only used to indicate whether a recommended song fits well with your current playlist, so they don't really apply to the play/shuffle all case, since you're playing all the songs on the device. By default we create a playlist every time you play a song or set of songs (album, all artist's songs, etc.), and then we can make recommendations for that playlist from your current collection, which you can then rate with the +/- buttons. If I'm missing your point please let me know.

-- Peter