How to froyo over wifi only (no service needed)

Bailie

Reaction score
I got a new droid x and its pretty cool. I don't want to pay 1000+$ a year for service. I just use it as an itouch. If any of you are doing the same thing, you probably noticed that the option to update to 2.2, is grayed out and the button does nothing. You don't need to do it over the air if you have wifi.

1) go into settings, wireless & network settings, mobile networks, system select
- choose "home only"
2)go into settings, about this phone
-you will notice that system updates is now available
-press sytem updates
-wait several minutes, it should go through eventually.

Pretty easy. It may seem to easy, but I have had a few questions and have been having trouble getting answers so I hope this helps someone, or makes it into a tips and tricks sticky somewhere. This doesn't void the warrenty and you don't need a computer.

Be sure to set your sevice free droid back to automatic because home will constantly use the battery looking for a network.

KINTEKLA

Reaction score
thanks for this post. i've been thinking of getting a 'touch' but have been very hesitant due to the fact that everything is integrated. anyway, i started thinking about getting droid x since it has wifi and basically using it like a touch. figured i could probably figure out a way to do voip for calls / text, but before making any purchases, i wanted to make sure it's worth.

so it was nice to find your post. i am curious about the voip with wifi on the droid x.

thanks again.

OP
B

Bailie

Reaction score
I'm still using my droid with no service. I haven't done any voip. There is an app for scype. I really just haven't tried. Let me know if you find out.

KINTEKLA

Reaction score
so i got me a used 'droid x' for 200 bucks. came with the 16g mem card, media dock station, case, & vehicle dock station. i'm seriously happy with it even with no service.

as far as voip, i've had no luck in finding anything that is truly free. pretty sure google and verizon made a deal to prevent this. but i'm gonna keep looking. hopefully one of those programmer geeks writes some code and share it.

the totally awesome thing i did find is navigon on applanet. better than my friend's gps device.

anyway, keep me informed if you find anything cool (free) and i'll do the same.

-k

sheadeadly

Reaction score
Droid X, no service

So my son has an Ipod Touch and decided he wanted a Droid X....I got him one from a friend with a 16g card, media dock station, and otterbox for $100 :) Good stuff, I know right? HA...he just upgraded to the Bionic so he isn't going to miss it...the problem is, it is on Verizon and he restored it so when I turn it on it is at the Verizon activation screen and doesn't give me an option to do anything else. My son really just wants to use it on Wifi so I need to know how to bypass the activation stuff and just use to phone. Can anyone help?

Savagerun

Reaction score
So my son has an Ipod Touch and decided he wanted a Droid X....I got him one from a friend with a 16g card, media dock station, and otterbox for $100 :) Good stuff, I know right? HA...he just upgraded to the Bionic so he isn't going to miss it...the problem is, it is on Verizon and he restored it so when I turn it on it is at the Verizon activation screen and doesn't give me an option to do anything else. My son really just wants to use it on Wifi so I need to know how to bypass the activation stuff and just use to phone. Can anyone help?

You may have found an answer on this by now but just in case you haven't. This is how to bypass activation http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/d...droid-activation-screen-motorola-droid-x.html

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums