[How-To] Force Motorola Droid 2.1 OTA Update (ESE81)

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Download this file:

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/voles/signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip

OR

signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip

Put on the root of your sdcard (not in a folder)

Rename to update.zip

Power phone off

Boot into recovery (power phone on while holding down x)

When you see the triangle with the exclamation point, press the volume up key and camera button key (only press the camera key down half way)

Navigate to “apply update.zip” and press the gold center button on the keyboard to select it. It will start the update process

Reboot

If your installation is 'aborted', it's probably because you named the file update.zip in Windows, which results in a file called update.zip.zip. Try renaming it to just 'update'

-------------------------------
credit to ugot2go123 and Speeddymon at Alldroid.

Last edited:

mjones1052

Reaction score
Beat me to it. Thank god it's finally out, now our Dev's will be able to make some magic happen with the official, official ROM.

Maybe we'll even see a Droidmod ROM again and they can stop crying about the hacked/pirated versions we use now, or whatever they are calling it.

mjones1052

Reaction score
Can't be the first to try, sorry, just can't :(:(

It's legit, it's just not worth it yet because there is no root for it.

Recommend waiting for our Dev's to come up with something with it. I would think this would be more so for the Dev's to tear apart and build on.

mjones1052

Reaction score
OUCH..... Just noticed this is only part of it and not an entire dump. So I guess you would have to deodex it and combine ESD56 which is our stock 2.0.1 and this, to get the official dump? Makes sense to me anyway.

bradford88

Reaction score
I just ran it.:icon_ banana: Its legit. Mac doesnt give me any warnings when going to the link. windows did though. but its installed and works

bradford88

Reaction score
It ran all my programs when i started it and it seemed slow. till i closed the apps and it runs a little smoother. animated backgrounds slow it down a little bit though

HarshReality

Reaction score
It's legit, it's just not worth it yet because there is no root for it.

Recommend waiting for our Dev's to come up with something with it. I would think this would be more so for the Dev's to tear apart and build on.

Well nuts.. and according to the partial note as well :/ Now I just wait for Pete >:)

dwz07

Reaction score
when this 2.1 update is pushed to our phones, will we have the option to update or not? cause i really don't want this update yet. as my phone is just sitting in its box in florida waiting for me im afraid when i turn it on it will automatically update (i want to root and install BB ROM)

khelek

Reaction score
OUCH..... Just noticed this is only part of it and not an entire dump. So I guess you would have to deodex it and combine ESD56 which is our stock 2.0.1 and this, to get the official dump? Makes sense to me anyway.

Sorry to sound ignorant, but I'm confused -- when you say a "partial dump", what does that mean? That the 2.1 update that was sent out is incomplete?

timtampa

Reaction score
It won't force you, will give option...

when this 2.1 update is pushed to our phones, will we have the option to update or not? cause i really don't want this update yet. as my phone is just sitting in its box in florida waiting for me im afraid when i turn it on it will automatically update (i want to root and install BB ROM)

It won't force you to do upgrade, it'll just bug you until you do. You can still root it and install any ROM you want.
If you do allow the OTA then you'll have to use something like RDS Lite to get it back to 2.0.1 via an sbf file and then root from there.

Met-Droid

Reaction score
What am I doing wrong? I downloaded the file directly to my droid and when prompted to "save as" I typed in update.zip. I checked it out in my astro file manager and the icon next to it is an open box with three sheets of paper standing up in it. Then I followed the instructions and I still got the message that said aborted file not found.

Can anyone tell what I screwed up?

Met-Droid

Reaction score
What am I doing wrong? I downloaded the file directly to my droid and when prompted to "save as" I typed in update.zip. I checked it out in my astro file manager and the icon next to it is an open box with three sheets of paper standing up in it. Then I followed the instructions and I still got the message that said aborted file not found.

Can anyone tell what I screwed up?

Nevermind, got it in the main thread...