How to create an intranet on Droid X

bestresearcher

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie and hope this has not been asked before. I have transferred 20,000 html files (consisting of primarily text) to my Droid X. They are stored in a folder on my SD card. I can locate the folder. However, all of the file managers require that the entire folder be read before I can even dream of opening one of the files in that folder for viewing.

After an interminable wait, I see all of the 20,000 plus files but cannot get to the one I want to open which links to the other files. In other words, I have 20,000 files on my SD card that, effectively speaking, I can neither access nor view. This is a database of legal cases and statutes, etc. which I need for my work. I would love to be able to search for specific text as well but first things first.

If this problem cannot be solved, I am faced with two other undesirable situations. 1. I can
open an account on a cloud server and upload my files to it, which would probably permit me to access them by my Droid X the way that any web page on the Web can be accessed. The other solution is using a remote access type program to access my office or home computer to see the files. From previous experience with the latter option (using my office computer from my home computer), it is painfully slow. Since I have roughly 4 gigs of html data I want to access, I would prefer to avoid the (albeit minimal) expense of a subscription for use of a cloud.

Any advice which would permit me to quickly and efficiently access and view my html files on the Droid would be most appreciated. Free apps, if applicable, would be preferred, but I am getting desperate.

I have heard of an app called the Droid Explorer, which apparently requires that the Droid be rooted (unrooted?).

Essentially, what I seek to do is transfer what is akin to an intranet on my office and home computers on my Droid X. Please offer any advice.

Thanks to one and all.

Phil

droidman101

Reaction score
Its actually called root explorer, but what I think you need to do is just put all the other files in a folder except the one you need.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You won't need to root your phone for this. Astro lets you search for file names on your card and is a free app in the Market.
Use the Barcode Scanner tool from the market to scan the below images from your phone, or just search for them in th emarket.

I-Jetty is a free webserver also available in the Market.
chart

Android Webserver is in beta but may suit your needs
chart

Paw webserver is another webserver for android tool
chart

If these files are all html files you should be good to go. If they are Excel, Word, Powerpoint, flash applications, or scripted pages such as asp, .net, php, etc you also will have other difficulties to overcome.

The webserver apps are meant to allow other computers to access the webserver running on your phone, but you should be able to access the same "intranet" from your phone as well.

Good luck!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thank you, Chris. Much appreciated. Phil

No problem, let us know how you make out. I'm also going to have this moved over to the apps section because what you are looking to do isn't really phone model specific and the tips here can help any android phone owner.

OP
B

bestresearcher

Reaction score
Hi, Chris:

Yikes this is more complex than I thought. I tried the I-jetty webserver--unfortunately, i am still encountering problems with my intranet. I have learned, moreover, that the Droids were designed to make it difficult to access local files generally. Users may wish to check out the following links where several workarounds are discussed.

Issue 2454 - android - Cannot view html on sdcard because no file url - Project Hosting on Google Code

TechJini - Web Development,iPhone Development, Application Development, Enterprise, Custom, Portal, Android Development,Website Design, Programming Services

If anybody has an elegant and simple fix, please let me know.

Thanks- Phil