How to check/close an app

Gregg C

Reaction score
Hi guys,
On my Blackberry Storm if I press and hold the "menu" button it will display all running apps, I can then see whats running in the backgroung and close it.
Is there a way on my Droid X to see everything running in the back ground ??
On my Blackberry Storm to close an app I press the menu button, a window opens up and I can press an actual "close" icon.
How do I completely close an app on my Droid X ??

Thanks for helping a newbie !!
Gregg

zgrmns

Reaction score
I'm a newbie coming from a Storm as well. My battery has been terrible and I'm wondering if i have to many things running. I went to settings, applications, and then running services. There is a bunch of stuff running in there but I'm not sure which one's are critical and which one's aren't. Not sure if there is an easier way to access these applications or not.

Trabecca

Reaction score
Go into Markets and download Advanced Task Killers (free app) and put it on your home page (a little green monster). You just have to click on him and he kills all running tasks.

fecurtis

Reaction score
Hi guys,
On my Blackberry Storm if I press and hold the "menu" button it will display all running apps, I can then see whats running in the backgroung and close it.
Is there a way on my Droid X to see everything running in the back ground ??
On my Blackberry Storm to close an app I press the menu button, a window opens up and I can press an actual "close" icon.
How do I completely close an app on my Droid X ??

Thanks for helping a newbie !!
Gregg

Former Storm2 owner here. Hold the home button down and you'll see a list of recently opened apps running in the background.

Plus the aforementioned advanced task killer works beautifully too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Push and hold the home button to show all recent apps. Just because the app is there does NOT mean it is still open as the system may have closed it but it was a recent app

Do not use a task killer unless you wanna waste battery life. Its been proven that its better to let the Android system handle closing apps on its own as it was made to do. The only need for a task killer is to close a malfunctioning app. But Android does have one built in under settings - applications - manage apps - choose the app - force stop.

tonahanot

Reaction score
me=newbie byond nomal standard. Thanks Trabecca, I'm loading Advanced Task Killer now! :) Now if if i just get my jawbone to work (I will search 4 the forum) Just happy to get 1 thing done... no exstatic.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's an android os - not a Palm or windows.Those apps listed under "running" aren't running in the Palm/Windows sort of way. They are loaded into memory by the os so they will be available for use immediately. They are not draining the battery. If the os needs additional memory, it will remove something. The android OS is totally able to manage the memory without an app like Task Killer.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Go into Markets and download Advanced Task Killers (free app) and put it on your home page (a little green monster). You just have to click on him and he kills all running tasks.

Passing poor information does not help the new guys at all...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
me=newbie byond nomal standard. Thanks Trabecca, I'm loading Advanced Task Killer now! :) Now if if i just get my jawbone to work (I will search 4 the forum) Just happy to get 1 thing done... no exstatic.

Just unload it and let the OS do it's job....Task Killers are not needed.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Coming from Blackberries (myself included long ago)....

Free Memory OCD is something you need to let go :)
The Android OS handles it's memory properly. If it needed a task killer, it would be a native part of the OS.

Only reason to kill any running tasks is to shut down a malfunctioning app.... which the native OS can do thru the Applications menu.

Android uses JVM's for it's OS, so an app 'running' in the background has it's own little stake of memory, not bothering anyone else. If the OS needs more memory, it'll take it from something else.

Free yourselves from worrying about what's running, and the dreaded battery pulls!

OP
G

Gregg C

Reaction score
You guys are great, I'm gonna let it be and The X can do its thing.
Thanks
Gregg

tonahanot

Reaction score
WOW... so now I can delete the Advanced Task Killer ap. Thanks Gonadie4thegov & BayouFlyFisher. To Backnblack, I never had a big brother(sister?) to look out 4 this damsel (I appreciate the sentiment). Thanks anyway, Trabecca. I'll now learn to both add & remove an app! Ah & I went 2 jawbone & followed instructions (which were NOT provided w/the Jawbone.. nice)

Trabecca

Reaction score
My bad. I was advised to do it by a moderator on another forum. I will leave mine alone also.