How to change defaule program for certain file associations?

Steveindajeep

Reaction score
I downloaded Act 1 to play .wmv and .avi files but my droid keeps opening up the default movie player to open .wmv from my emails. Is there a way to change the default program association for files? I looked for this topic on here and astro file manager is mentioned but I dont see where in the app you can do this?

phone

Reaction score
What I've noticed is when you have programs installed that do the same thing, you're usually presented with a pop-up asking you to choose the program and a checkmark to make it the default.

Once you've selected a default, I think you can go into settings and clear it out.

OP
Steveindajeep

Steveindajeep

Reaction score
Yeah I must have gotten click happy and clicked through it. Must be a way of changing it after another program is already selected as default.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Got it...

Open Astro.
Tap Menu
Tap More
Tap Preferences
Scroll to and Tap Edit File Extensions
Scroll to and Tap AVi
Tap on the grey box in the upper right.
Select program Icon to Open with.

See how that works for ya and report back here. I haven't needed to change anything, myself. I just found it once while exploring Astro.

OP
Steveindajeep

Steveindajeep

Reaction score
Ok I did that for avi but dont see Act 1s icon in the list of programs to select. How do i get it in astro list is the next question.

windstrings

Reaction score
you can't go to settings--->applications--->manage applications---->pick your app and clear defaults?

Usually once you do this, it will ask you which app to use next time you try to open an extension that that particular app was controlling.

Shooshi

Reaction score
I ran into this problem a couple days ago. Go to manage program>press menu>sort>all>camera and clear the defaults for camera. This should give you the option to pick your default video player again.

stormteaser19

Reaction score
I ran into this problem a couple days ago. Go to manage program>press menu>sort>all>camera and clear the defaults for camera. This should give you the option to pick your default video player again.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I was gonna loose my mind if i couldn't figure this out!! thank you!!!

windstrings

Reaction score
Got it...

Open Astro.
Tap Menu
Tap More
Tap Preferences
Scroll to and Tap Edit File Extensions
Scroll to and Tap AVi
Tap on the grey box in the upper right.
Select program Icon to Open with.

See how that works for ya and report back here. I haven't needed to change anything, myself. I just found it once while exploring Astro.

all that does is assign an Icon to that association.... does not direct a pathway to a certain app.

webvan

Reaction score
Tried this tip for the kindle .mobi eBooks, no go. At first it opened them with overdrive, but after uninstalling Overdrive it won't open them at all, trying to figure out how to open them with the kindle app !

Davyburns

Reaction score
Tried this tip for the kindle .mobi eBooks, no go. At first it opened them with overdrive, but after uninstalling Overdrive it won't open them at all, trying to figure out how to open them with the kindle app !

I have struggled with the Kindle app all weekend, and tried all the above with no luck. Can anyone help