how to add a photo to a friend in google talk's friends list?

baruch

Reaction score
how do u add a photo from the Droid's contacts' list (accessed from the home screen) to appear on (Google's) Talk friends list instead of the android icon???

one of my gmail-based phone contacts has a photo, which i added from the Droid's camera gallery.
my question re: Google Talk - how to have THAT phone contact photo appear next to the friend on my friends list in Google Talk, in place of the default android icon.

oddly, MY photo appears next to the status message bar at the top in Talk & when i "press & hold" MY photo, the camera's gallery pops up allowing me to change the photo if i want.

one would think this would also be the same when press & hold the android icon next to the "friend", but when press & hold, the only thing that "pops up" is a bar with 5 options, none having anything to do with "photo"!!!?? i believe, one of the weaknesses of "Talk".

someone suggested going into gmail on pc via: settings - general - contacts -- select contact --> do see the this contact's photo BECAUSE that photo appears in my phone contacts, which i added, but apparently phone contacts list has nothing to do with Google TALK????? and yes, this friend does have a gmail account, so this function should work.

would appreciate if anyone has a solution. so far, i have received 2 suggestions both wrong. looking for someone knowledge who can list the steps to talk, NOT someone who gives half solutions

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I believe the photo must be set by the person and you cannot assign one for them.
I have not found a way in the last 3 months to do so.

OP
B

baruch

Reaction score
adding photo to droid talk....

I believe the photo must be set by the person and you cannot assign one for them.

what was the point of the admin message "IF" this is supposed to be a help forum? there IS a way (see lengthy question above), but so far, have received a general responses without a clear precise way of adding. in addition, as to being able to manipulate the user's photo, would seem logical re: the friends list.

if the admin of this site has a problem, sorry it is handled in such an immature & infantile way. doesn't speak well for this particular forum.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

what was the point of the admin message "IF" this is supposed to be a help forum? there IS a way (see lengthy question above), but so far, have received a general responses without a clear precise way of adding. in addition, as to being able to manipulate the user's photo, would seem logical re: the friends list.

if the admin of this site has a problem, sorry it is handled in such an immature & infantile way. doesn't speak well for this particular forum.

How was the answer immature? I stated what I believed to be the way it works and also stated that I have not found a way of doing what you asked in the 3 months I have been using Gtalk.

I am sorry that I do not have the answer to your problem.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't gTalk linked to your Google profile? So as BacknBlack said, the user themselves have to set an avatar/image for their profile to have it show in gTalk.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

First let me say BNB answerd correctly. on Gtalk the user sets his avatr you cannot manipulate it.

Second the admins of this site do not ave any issue helping. We alsi have no issues with our staff. Not sure why BNB's answerd set you off but the comment " immature & infantile way" makes no sense to me. If you want to talk about this more. Feel free to PM me. Please keep in mind that we don't allow bashing, or flaming, or name calling here at DF. Thanks and have a nice day

:)