How old do you have to be to exchange phones?

blumpkinblake

Reaction score
I'm 17 and my Droid has some dust under the screen. I'm wondering if I can drive on over to the Verizon Corporate store and exchange phones without my mom coming with me. My mom absolutely hates the verizon store and she won't come with me.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
As long as you have any account information and password (if she has one).
I would have her call 611 and have her add you as an authorized user.

thelion

Reaction score
You should be fine to just exchange the phone out. Is your name anywhere on the account?

joshua117

Reaction score
as long as your an authorized user i don't think that will be a issue. if not the account holder can add you as one over the phone i think.

OP
B

blumpkinblake

Reaction score
I have all the account information and know all the passwords. I could even have them call the cell of my mom and ask her. Just wondering. If I have any problems I'll post it here in case anyone else wants to know. My name might be on the account but not as the holder.

thelion

Reaction score
You should be down as an authorized account user. It gives you full authority to do anything BUT add other authorized account users. You can add lines, cancel service, exchange phones etc. If you are not, all your mom needs to do is call VZW and they can set it up right over the phone. That way, she never has to deal with them! You can!

Redls1bird

Reaction score
I think i read in a few places where people have been having issues getting their droids replaced for dust under the screen... good luck

wsbsteven

Reaction score
You should be down as an authorized account user. It gives you full authority to do anything BUT add other authorized account users. You can add lines, cancel service, exchange phones etc. If you are not, all your mom needs to do is call VZW and they can set it up right over the phone. That way, she never has to deal with them! You can!

Authorized users can't add lines, only the account holder can.

OP
B

blumpkinblake

Reaction score
Since I'm under 18 she can't call in and add a line because there is no one to sign for it. In order for me to get an exchange my mom would have to come in, sign papers allowing me to do all the stuff, then I could do it by myself. But that defeats the purpose of wanting to do it without my mom. I think I'm just going to dial *611 and ask the people there. They don't know I'm not 18, and my mom will be near me so I can just hand her the phone if there is any problems.

lockman

Reaction score
She can add you over the phone. I did it with my stepson when he was still a minor. Then you'll be good to go.

thelion

Reaction score

Authorized users can't add lines, only the account holder can.

Incorrect. I am an authorized user on my account and I can do everything BUT add another authorized user. I can add lines, I can change service, I can cancel lines and I can upgrade phones.

Blake, how did they know you were under 18? Did they ask for ID? I am surprised she cannot add you to the account. I didn't think there was an age limit but it makes sense I guess given that it entails accepting the contract and you cannot do so as you are not 18.

Best of luck to you!

OP
B

blumpkinblake

Reaction score
Yeah she asked for my age. They told me I had to have a parent there to sign papers and I can't do it over the phone. I'll just call *611 and exchange it no questions asked. It's funny how I drive 30 minutes to the mall to replace my phone and they say no; when I can just call on the phone and they'll do it no questions asked...

xtreme

Reaction score
An Authorized users must be 18 or older, If you go to the store you can swap out your droid without her being there as long as the rep can call and talk to her and verify all info, but you not sign any contract extentions without her present

xtreme

Reaction score
also if she adds you as an auth user, they won't know your under age unless you tell them, but if you make any changes that may screw up the acct holder is responsible for any and all charges that go along with the changes