How much does froyo (android 2.2) improve game performance?

biggles

Reaction score
A few of the games I have played or will soon play include:
NOVA
Dungeon Hunter
PSX4Droid

And I am curious how much froyo will improve the speed? No change, small, medium, or large improvement? Currently I run a stock moto droid with 2.1.

For instance, NOVA had frame rate drops but I would play it again if that could be reduced or eliminated.

jim2point0

Reaction score
Froyo introduces an improved compiler which speeds up the translation from Java to machine code. It does not improve the quality of your GPU... which is what gets bogged down in games. How well your games run really depends on what phone you have... and how much you can overclock it.

If you can't run X game very well with 2.1, chances are you won't be able to run it with 2.2. I noticed a 2 FPS increase in one of the 3D benchmarks (nenamark1) on my EVO. Not very impressive.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Aside from the points that jim2point0 makes, there is one more important reason why Froyo has little to no effect on high end games.

The JIT compiler, like jim says, translates Java to machine code. However, high end games aren't written in Java. They are written with the Android Native Development Kit, which uses C++

The NDK is what makes these ports of high-end iPhone games feasible.

Riddick

Reaction score
And I am curious how much froyo will improve the speed? No change, small, medium, or large improvement? Currently I run a stock moto droid with 2.1.

Huge change from stock to rom assuming you over-clock your phone. Almost no noticeable change from 2.1 to 2.2 but a huge change from stock speed to OC speed (800mhz-1gb).

fritomaster

Reaction score

Huge change from stock to rom assuming you over-clock your phone. Almost no noticeable change from 2.1 to 2.2 but a huge change from stock speed to OC speed (800mhz-1gb).

Overclocked TO 1 GIGABYTE! :O

Skurvy_Pirate

Reaction score
I haven't noticed too much of a change. But the only 'high end" game I play is HomerunBattle 3D. Which seems to be a little bit smoother but it might be my imagination. I do know for a fact that loading times are MUCH faster on some games. Like over twice as fast. UniWar boots up in 4 seconds now.