How Hot Does Your S8 Get While Charging?

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
olixar-high-power-samsung-galaxy-s8-usb-c-mains-charger-cable-p63533-300-jpg.77549

Several people are beginning to report that their S8 or S8+ is overheating while charging. This is of concern after the Note 7 Debacle of last year. Overheating was not the only cause of Note 7 devices bursting into flames. It turns out part of the problem is that the devices were too thin and did not allow for the battery to expand when it did overheat.

The S8 was specifically designed to be a bit thicker to allow for the expanding of the battery. One user noted that his S8+ reached a temperate of 104.5 degrees while charging. Another user chimed in that this may be due to the fact that Samsung is still using QC2.0 for their adaptive fast charging which isn't as efficient and does cause phones to overheat while charging. Hopefully with the added thickness and space for battery expansion in the S8 and S8+ we won't have to worry about any problems.

via AndroidCentral

Attachments

• olixar-high-power-samsung-galaxy-s8-usb-c-mains-charger-cable-p63533-300.jpg
    olixar-high-power-samsung-galaxy-s8-usb-c-mains-charger-cable-p63533-300.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 4,481

tommyz

Reaction score
104.5 is within the spec for Li-Ion batteries while fast charging. I've seen information that they can charge at up to 113.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife is having this issue.........with her Pixel. Thing gets blazing while charging. She is almost afraid to charge it unsupervised.

joeblow2819

Reaction score
My S8 seems to be charging fine. Even on the Samsung-supplied fast charger or the fast charging (QC 3.0) port of one of the new Anker chargers, it only gets slightly warm. I'm very happy with the phone so far.

xtor

Reaction score
I charge on my wireless charging pad and have noticed no heat issues. 8+

S8+

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
With the different stories of how much the phone heats while charging makes me wonder if the cases are the issue. I imagine that Samsung tests the phones naked (the phones not the testers :)). I could see that certain cases might interfere with the heat dissipation as intended. You put on a jacket to keep warm so a jacket (case) on a phone could very well do the same.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I don't use fast charging, so I haven't noticed any temperatures to be concerned about. Love having the ability to turn that off.