How does Facebook sync work?

andrewdoane

Reaction score
The usual disclaimer: I promise I searched the forum for the answer to this question; if this is a repost I'm sorry.

I decided to finally let my contacts sync with Facebook. For the most part it worked but there are several contacts who didn't sync. I'm trying to figure out how the ones that did work in fact worked. Does it go by name? Email? Because I can't figure out why my wife's contact didn't sync. We have a hyphenated last name so I am quite sure there is no one else in the world with her full name, let alone on Facebook, so it's definitely not confused and trying to pick one of the many people with her name. Her email address is the same on Facebook and on my phone, so that's not the problem. So my questions are:

1. How does Facebook sync work? What datum is it cross-checking from my contacts list to my Facebook friends? Name? Email?

2. Is there a way to manually tell it to sync a contact to a particular Facebook profile? I saw this mentioned in another thread but I can't figure out how to do it myself. I would rather know the global solution in (1) above but this would be better than nothing.

Other notes:

I see that the phone is showing a "Sync error" and that it "will be back shortly," but I don't think that's the problem here because it should have worked for her when it worked for everyone else.

I have to say that despite the problem I'm having I'm very impressed with the Facebook sync feature in general. I am blown away that it has worked as well as it does. Just not 100% so far.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I also have a question about this.

When you choose to sync, can you sync a single group, or does it sync everyone in your friends list? I ask because I play 3 or 4 FB games and have well over 1,000 friends in my list. I only have 40 or so in my actual friends list however that I would even consider adding to my phone contacts.

OP
andrewdoane

andrewdoane

Reaction score
Yep, those got me where I needed to be. Still not perfect but better (got my wife's contact to sync). Thanks.