How do I watch Video Files in Droid

benhebert

Reaction score
I uploaded a couple of movies to my droid but cannot find how I would play them using the phone. I'm sure they probably have to be in a certain format or something like that but there seems to be no support for video files.

Anyone know how to do this?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP
benhebert

benhebert

Reaction score
Through the gallery? My video files aren't showing up on there.

@wuyanks Thanks will definitely check it out

adol7

Reaction score
They should show up in the Gallery under All Videos if it's in the right format. The ones successful for me so far are .mp4 extension and were converted using an iPhone profile for specs. There's freebie converters like:
QuickMediaConverter - cocoonsoftware.com
I'm still learning the ideal settings as well, but the iPhone settings using h.264 should work (might have to tweak the width/height to fit best).

saxmaster45

Reaction score
This is the most frustrating thing about this phone so far... all that processing power and it can't play common video formats like AVI and DIVX. My Palm Treo 700 could play full resolution AVI files with TCPMP player. I'm hoping a developer comes up with something similar.

Actually, that's what's so exciting. Who knows what will come out in the next few weeks.

Droider

Reaction score
The thing is that I don't thing that a DIVX deconder can be done as a java based app. It has to be done at a lower hardware level with the processor and that would need to be built into the OS by Google and/or Motorola.

saxmaster45

Reaction score
Crap. Do you think there might be any kind of OS hack that might allow that?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
it's no biggie to convert the files... just put a few in a queue overnight and voila :)

OP
benhebert

benhebert

Reaction score
so what format is best to convert the files to? It's sad that it doesn't come with a divx decoder.... :(

adol7

Reaction score
It really is a bummer not having native Divx/Xvid support.
I recommended QuickMediaConverter before testing it myself and after my first attempt, I got a black screen in the video player. It was only one test of format settings, but I apologize in advance if it doesn't do the job. I have, however, successfully converted several shows/movies to mp4 (h264 codec) that play well on the Droid using Wondershare MP4 Video Converter, but didn't mention it since it's not free ($30).

OP
benhebert

benhebert

Reaction score
$30 for an app to play video files!? that's ridiculous hoping that a fix is going to come out soon.

iunknown

Reaction score
what folder does the video have to be in? Got my droid mounted but only thing I see is
dcim

iunknown

Reaction score
weird, I don't know which did it. Video's were not coming up. Rebooted droid and also mounted the sd card with an adapter (not using droid) and added a second video. Now they show up. it also took awhile to process them