How do I sync files - not media or contacts

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to sync files between my PC and Droid. I've spent the last hour searching for an answer without finding a solution. I would like to sync MS Office files (word, excel, powerpoint), pdf's and various others. I'm a previous Windows Mobile user and need something that works kind of like Activesync, where you create a folder on your desktop to keep these files in, and the Droid syncs with this folder when connected.

tjoebgen

Reaction score
only an hour? lol - I've been searching for a week...

Closest I've come so far is HTC Sync - but I'm still having install issues. I've tried 100 other sync apps now (and they are all either crap or really expensive and overkill). I need something to take the place of the sync capabilities that my Palm Pilot with Documents To Go had. It seems that file sync is the droid's Achilles Heel at the moment. MANY people are just as frustrated.

OP
DarrellM5

DarrellM5

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I might be onto something. I downloaded SK Sync from the market. So far it seems to be doing exactly what I want, only it's over my network instead of through the USB cable. I'll post back with more details once I've put it through it's paces. So far, I've only tried one sync and it worked fine.

iPirate

Reaction score
SyncToy for windows is what i use to backup files from my PC to USB drive

tjoebgen

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I might be onto something. I downloaded SK Sync from the market. So far it seems to be doing exactly what I want, only it's over my network instead of through the USB cable. I'll post back with more details once I've put it through it's paces. So far, I've only tried one sync and it worked fine.

I tried SK Sync. Not a solution for me, sadly. I need to sync with my files at work, not my home - which is what it's really geared for.

OP
DarrellM5

DarrellM5

Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like work would be a problem for me also. I guess it only fixes half of my dilemma, but it's a start.

Berzerker

Reaction score
You could just...manually move the files over onto the SDCard. Just make a folder to organize them...

tjoebgen

Reaction score
You could just...manually move the files over onto the SDCard. Just make a folder to organize them...

I have many files in many folders on a number of servers at work. Other people have access to these files and can change them. I need the latest file sync'd to me. In order to do it manually, I'd have to compare each and every file's date/time on PC and in my droid.

I know that (good) software is going to exist for this eventually... based on response in all of the droid forums I've visited this week, this is a hot topic, and potentially very lucrative for someone that can do it right and keep it affordable (or bundled with a decent dock).

tjoebgen

Reaction score
SyncToy for windows is what i use to backup files from my PC to USB drive

oooOOOO - SyncToy is getting closer to what I need. It gets me about 90% there. I wish it had a File selection instead of just Folder selection. I can filter out files in that folder that I don't want, but it's a lot of work.

But, of the 100 other sync-apps I've tried this week, this one is the closest- Thanks iPirate!

tjoebgen

Reaction score
SyncToy was close, but no cigar. Biggest problem is not being able to select a single file out of a folder full of files. Yeah, I know it has filters, but having to manually add a filter for them all is too much to deal with.

I came across one last night that is a little more promising: BestSync 2010 BestSync:Free file synchronization, FTP synchronization, File Sync, outlook synchronization, USB Sync, file backup, automatic backup, folder Mirroring, PC Sync Software, freeware
It still doesn't let me directly pick just one file out of a folder, but it is easier to unselect the ones I don't want.

For those just tuning in, these apps have nothing to do with Droid, other than it has a USB that you can access as a removable media. This means that when you want to "sync", you have to put the droid into USB Storage Mode (Mount), run the PC sync app, then put the USB back to normal mode (or just unplug it). You won't find these apps in the Market. I have hopes that someday we'll have a true docking/charging/sync'ing solution (for more than just sync'ing pictures and songs), but for now, this method will have to do.

gas34

Reaction score
What about syncback? I dont do any file syncing so Im not sure if this will help you but if you can mount the droid this should work.

www.2brightsparks.com
they have a free and paid version. I think the paid version can do scheduled syncs.

tjoebgen

Reaction score
In addition to BestSync, I found "B-Folders" (mentioned by someone in another thread). It's another note taking application, but it has a main feature I need - Categories (ones that I specify, not just their default). The developer is working on a desktop app to go with it for viewing/editing notes and the 2-way sync'ing them.

So, my workaround for now is to use BestSync for my Documents to Go files (word docs, spreadsheets, pdfs) and wait for B-Folders desktop app.