how do i get rid of the apps that come with the phone

roafamily

Reaction score
hi all,
how do i get rid of the apps that are running in the background such as news and weather, visual VM, and some others that came presintalled with the phone? Does the droid need this for its features? I was able to do a force stop per app but they later came back up. any and all help is appreciated

HAPPY VETERANS DAY!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your phone model will be helpful to us in providing you with the most accurate information -

OP
R

roafamily

Reaction score
LOL sorry i thought you could read thru my monitors...sorry i have the droid I with 2.2

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
With the Original Droid it is pretty easy to delete pre-installed system/apps but you will need to Root your phone - which is also pretty easy

Have you thought about rooting ?

OP
R

roafamily

Reaction score
i did think about rooting my personal phone..what are the pros and cons if any?

harrellj

Reaction score
Once rooted, you have access to "root only" apps, like ones to create screenshots as well as titanium backups for thorough backups. You can also run a custom ROM and overclock the phone as well as theme it. Of course, root will let you remove apps from your phone that you don't use (keep Google Talk even if you don't use it... Market won't work without it) and I'd suggest just renaming the .apks to .bak to still have them around if needed.

Cons? It violates the warranty, you'll have to unroot it before you take it in for service. There is a potential for malware (which doesn't really exist yet) to do more damage in a rooted phone.

Note: I'm rooted, so there's probably some bias involved ;-)