How did you get Droided?

StepDroid

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was just curios..... I wanted to know what was the situation or maybe what led to you being in the market for a phone and how did Droid enter the picture...

For me... I had an old BB 7100t(old school right?) I actually upgraded to a Dash but, my wife stepped in the face of it.. that's another story...

The phone had long since served it's purpose as certain buttons and functions weren't working as well and hell I just wanted a new phone. I was gonna buy an "HTC whatever" cause my wife has att. I was pretty much done with tmo cause they never got phones I like. Wanted an iPhone but, I wasn't feelin that slave like platform so I held off... I saw a commercial about Droid and one day I remembered to go to the website.... I was blown away by the site... I went to the Verizon store to test drive it..... I was blown away, so I went and played with some others including the Eris, which was nice but no Droid haha. I came back to the Droid said to myself "this is it". Went to the office put in the order and Droid arrived on my birthday... BEST BDAY IN 39 yrs LOL.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
My old phone was a Voyager (contract ending in October '09) and I wanted to get a smart phone. I originally thought about getting a BB, specifically the Storm 2. Then I started hearing about the Droid on Howard's Forum (I didn't even know this forum existed until the middle of November). The more I read, the more I liked. I pre-ordered it and got it the day it came out.

mjs31

Reaction score
Had the BB Tour and was actually going to look at the Storm 2 or another BB. Started seeing Droid posts on the Crackberry site so I read a few and checked out some youtube videos on it. One thing led to another and I am a very happy Droid owner.

hyperlite456

Reaction score
Well I've been with verizon for years up until the past couple I had to be with Nextel under my dad's plan due to financial reasons. The service was horrible and all I could do was text/make calls. Not to mention, every time I received a text, I had to wait 30 seconds for it to download. Just recently though, my dad decided to change the family plan back to verizon because of way too many dropped calls. First, before droid came out, I was suggested by a verizon employee to go with the HTC Imagio. He claimed that it was selling like crazy and the closest thing to the iphone, so I went with it. It was amazing compared to the nextel phone and MotoQ I had a couple years ago. However, a couple problems. It was slightly laggy, so after reading negative reviews, having it lock up on me, and not be able to turn off unless I took the battery out (which hardware made VERY difficult) I did some research. I took back the imagio to purchase a droid on November 7th and I've been obsessed ever since.

Diordna

Reaction score
My brother just showed me it months ago and I just loved it. I'm not a huge phone techi at all, I didn't know smart phones very well at all a few months ago. But I'm on this site constantly and I know so much more now thanks to the site.
Anyways, yeah me and my bro were going to get it opening day coming from a different plan. I finally got to test it out at the store and I really did like it. I watched DOZENS of youtube vids on it, ect. Still kind of do.
But couldn't get it because of the lack of credit, not even our mom had good credit so it was $400+ the $200 for phone.
So I sadly had to give it up.....

UNTIL

It haunted me and more and more I know I just wanted it! I am a person who really HATES HATES spending money, I love having and saving money, I'm the best at saving.
And for some reason this phone was getting to me as the only thing I really actually want. I don't pay bills (I'm only almost 19, youngin lol) but as much as I HATE spending money somehow this device bypassed all speculations. I didn't care about throwing my money at it. So as days go by, I finally found this forum and found myself on it hours with no end. Then I made an account on here, and I learned a lot about this Droid with all the threads and everything, all the apps that I want to have, everything.
Got on Wirefly and saw Droid selling for $119 which really called to me!
Days by and it pulled me in and I bought it couple days ago and not it's fixed to arrive technically tonight by 7!!
So excited to get it!

My first and only for now, bill to pay is for the Droid. Well, at least $50 of it. Parents get the $30 since thats how much they were paying for me on my other phone so I made that bargain at least heeew.
And even with $400 along with the $119 and activation fee, it is all going to be worth it I'm sure!
Plus the credit is used as paying the bill when I get it back so I alternatively saw it as me spending that money in the future anyways.

Coming from a local company with crappy flip phone.
This will be my first smart phone.
=]

Last edited:

Slighter

Reaction score
Signed up - received email alert stating release day - Purchased on release day. Adios WinMo.

lovekmats

Reaction score
My mom and I went into the Verizon store to look at new phones for her and I ended up playing with the Droid while she was deciding between the Eris and the BBstorm2 for over an hour. Needless to say, I wanted to leave with a new phone too (I had the enV at the time haha), and we both left another hour later (she takes SO long to decide), me with the Droid and her with the BBstorm2. My stepdad was quite jealous of the Droid when we got home, but he kept saying he loved his iPhone and that it's better than the Droid. Pfft, to each their own I guess.

asmallchild

Reaction score
I wasn't 100% thrilled with my storm so when someone offered to subsidize half the phone, I lept at the opportunity to upgrade after a year for only $100

frbooker87

Reaction score
Well I always wanted an iPhone since they 1st came out but I despise att. Then I saw the very 1st Droid commercials where it played the iPhone music and said what the iPhone couldn't do but DROID DOES.

I knew about Google's android and decided I would check it out since I was scheduled to upgrade in November. Needless to say I haven't looked back. If iPhone does come to Verizon I'm not trippin because android OS has me hooked.

Million

Reaction score
My freakin IT prof kept saying how awesome it was, everyday in class, so I just decided that I had to have it.

He has the apple.

Plus I was having problems with my Tour

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was on AT&T and had a Tilt for 2 years. I was forced to switch basically and only one phone on Verizon's network interested me, the Droid. I couldn't be happier with the phone and the service, coverage still amazes me.

Willyammer

Reaction score
I got Droided (see my signature) mostly because I hated the ATT network - my wife's iPhone was always losing its signal. Plus, I worked for an Apple consultancy and EVERYONE had the damn iPhone.
Seeing the "Droid Does" ads got me hooked and I haven't looked back. Best phone I've ever had. I do, of course, run into some issues but that's what this forum is for, isn't it?

Twitter: ServicebellS

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Well, I had a Motorola KRZR K1m, and it was getting near the time for my new-every-2 discount, so I had kind of been looking around at phones. Not that the KRZR was a bad phone, but I really wanted a smartphone... And it was definitely NOT gonna be an iPhone, because I had no desire to switch to AT&T... I'd pretty much decided on the HTC Imagio -- seemed like a neat phone, and I'd spoken to a few people who liked HTC's phone designs...

Then I saw the iDon't commercial for the first time! At first, I didn't really think much about it, but then I saw some previews of the Droid on the Internet. I instantly changed my mind about the Imagio... Plus, crazy enough, my new-every-two discount kicked in on Nov. 6th -- release day for the Droid! I figured it was too good to be true -- the very Universe was telling me to buy a Droid. So I did. :)

Jumper2pilot

Reaction score
I saw how much money Moto spent on the 10 min commercial and felt sorry for them so I bought one so they wouldn't go outa biz... =)

shademar

Reaction score
I had an LG dumbphone/clamshell that happened to break a few days after the droid's release (1 year into the contract). I was in VZW corporate and told them I either wanted the cheapest dumbphone they had (out of pocket) or the droid if I qualified. To my complete surprise, I was found to be eligible for the discount and ended up with the droid.

What's funny is that I hadn't even considered buying a smartphone until that moment. Now, I doubt I could go back...