How can I mod Froyo System Apps?

Cehotec

Reaction score
I'm interested in making some modifications to Froyo's System Apps; possibly mms.apk and contacts.apk.

I have Eclipse and the Google SDK setup on my machine where I can create apps on my own.

How can I get the source code for these system apps? I would like to rename to .zip, extract, load, and start making changes.

Any help would be greatly appericiated.

Thanks in advance.

BeADroid

Reaction score

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't suggest changing them to ZIP to edit tho, just download 7zip to your computer. That program can open APK files as they are, then simply drag out the "res" folder, make changes, and drag it back into 7zip...

You can edit PNG files easily (theming) or you can make an attmept at decompiling some XML's and editing colors and stuff with a hex editor... Good luck sir!

OP
C

Cehotec

Reaction score
You can use the program NinjaMorph (market) and do that all on your phone. Of you can use that to extract mod them on your PC and use it to resign the apps. That is what I do.

I tried to use NinjaMorph. Created a new project and selected system/app/mms.apk. When I attempt to view an xml file, the text is grabbled. Any suggestions? This is also the same result after using 7zip.

rockdevourer

Reaction score
Look up smali and baksmali, that is what you need to modify the code of the apks. If you're just trying to do graphical stuff then you won't need it, but if you're trying to add a feature or what have you, you will.