Homescreen Orientation

pfranklin

Reaction score
Hi. My moto droid will not reorient to landscape until I slide open the keyboard. Only happens in homescreen. Other apps reorient fine, browser, etc. Did reorient correctly until earlier today. Have checked settings, did 2 -battery reboots, but alas, no fix. Total noob 2 Android. What am I missing?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Home screen orientation will only stay in portrait mode unless the keyboard is out.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
nothing...it's not supposed to orient without the keyboard deployed.

only in apps, browser etc.....

seaman

Reaction score
My phone lags a little when switching orientation, but works overall and all screens, regardless of whether the keyboard is out or not. Make sure that your orientation seeing is on:

Press the menu button when on the home screen, then go to sound and display, then the fourth option
from the bottom is orientation, make sure this box is checked.

See if that works.

khelek

Reaction score
OK, I've now hit this issue. I've done some searching on it and as it turns out, I'm not the only one. I'm also not the only one that knows that, in the recent past, it *was* auto-rotating without the keyboard being slid out. As a matter of fact, it was only earlier this evening that it was doing that with no problem, and then it just stopped. Some folks have blamed the addition of some apps and tried to remove them to fix the problem to no avail; I installed an irc client and tried uninstalling to see if that fixed it, but no luck. I wasn't going as far as removing all my apps as no one has said it's fixed from doing that.

But I wanted to get this in here as I know many folks have said "it doesn't and never did", but I and many others know it did (see thread here: Issue 4555 - android - android 2.0 home screen wont rotate with keyboard closed except when in car mode - Project Hosting on Google Code)

Brian

OP
P

pfranklin

Reaction score
Motorola's online Droid manual say 'no homescreen rotatee.' I assumed that the hs rotated w/out slider, just like all apps, and it took me a day of fiddling to notice that it doesn't. But it's not a software issue. That's the way it's supposed to work. Contacts app is the same way. LS w/slider out only.

Tilted

Reaction score
Despite what the manual may say, mine was rotating on the home screen without the keyboard being out until today. I have no idea what changed to stop it from doing so, I haven't installed any new apps in the last day or so.

shademar

Reaction score
Mine autorotated with the stock home for the first two days after I got it, and then stopped, never to do so again. I thought I was going crazy, but it seems to have happened to a number of people.

I use home++ now, which autorotates fine.