Home Button Doesn't Work, Certain Soft Keyboard Keys Don't Work, Touchscreen Flakey

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Ok, my Droid2 is a little over a year and a half old. My 2 year contract is up in October.

Yesterday, my phone was really screwing up. The touch screen was spazzing out. Scrolls were all over the place, the screen was clicking in random spots on it's own which opened up apps left and right. It was darn near impossible to navigate and use.
I was able to back the phone up and get to settings and do a factory restore...and I wiped the sd card as well for good measure.
Since then, the phone has behaved a little better. Scrolling is smooth and not sporadic, but there are stills some serious issues.

- The home button sporadically works...and it's rare when it does work. I'm not even getting the haptic feedback on the soft home button like I do with the soft return and menu keys.
- Certain soft keys on the keyboard in a certain area don't work, and it's not that they just don't work, but when I try to click 'e' in portrait mode for example, it will select the key next to it...same thing with 'r'...it will select 't' instead. When I try to click 'd' it hits 's' or 'f'. The keys that are effected change when in landscape mode. So it seems to be a spot on the touch screen that is wonky.

I'm going to take it in to the Verizon store over lunch today and see what they have to say. If it can't be fixed, I may have to get a new phone. I am about due for one anyway. But I really like the D2 and if this can be fixed, I'd like to keep it for a while longer.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Can't seem to find a fix anywhere...other than restoring the phone, hard resetting, and uninstalling any launchers or lock screen apps...which I don't have anyway.
The Verizon store was no help. They no longer do repairs, and since it's out of warranty, they said I'd have to send it to Motorola and I'd be charged for the repair.
I'm not going to pay to have my D2 fixed...I'd just as soon spend a little more to upgrade to a better, brand new phone.

Any ideas?

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Woke up this morning, and my phone was 100% fine. Not sure why. I had reformatted again before I went to bed...installed Google Voice and charged it, then went to bed.

hmmm...

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Aaaaand, the home button and phone freak out when scrolling at times started again today.
There doesn't seem to be any consistency to it...very sporadic.

Guess I'm talking to myself in here.

I'm buying a new phone tonight. Got it narrowed down to the D4, Galaxy Nexus, & the Rezound.
The Rezound is a very good phone, and at $79 with the $30 off for an upgrade right now online...that's hard to pass up.
Moving away from the physical keyboard would be tough though...so the D4 is tempting.
But I like the stock Android on the Nexus.

Tough decision.