hey there

gamble22

Reaction score
While in my endeavors to find more information about the droid, I happened to find this website, which is very helpful by the way. Just thought I would come by here and say hi, I am planning on getting the droid in my hands very soon, christmas to be exact.

Looks like a good community, and I am particularly interested in rooting my phone. I do very well in the area of computers and have modded other things before, and I am excited to expand my knowledge.

Just wondering if anybody could answer this question for me since I couldn't find it in the FAQs ive searched. When you root your phone, can you put apps that you have downloaded from your computer onto your SD card? Like a homebrew app for example?

Also, related to rooting, I was reading about the 2.1 update, and if I could ask, is it hard to update your firmware when you have your phone rooted? Would it be better to wait to root when the 2.1 update comes out? I don't know if I could wait that long to get my hands on that freedom.

Again, thanks in advance.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
first, welcome to the forums! there is a LOT of good info here, especially relating to what you are interested in. those answers can be found here, with more certainty than what i can tell you.. i'm pretty sure you can add apps t your SD card post-root, with the help of another app.. i think its called something like app2sd or something like that. i've seen it mentioned here.

good luck in your quest! i know you will enjoy the droid..

OP
gamble22

gamble22

Reaction score
Thank you sam, ill have a look around.

OP
gamble22

gamble22

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I felt like i needed some advice on this.

I just went up to the Verizon store and played around with the droid, and fell in love with it.

The only thing is, I am a big guy, with big hands. And it seems on the physical keypad i happen to hit 2 letters at once. This probably has to do with the keys not being raised or spread about. The same with the virtual keyboard, my fingers hit too many different characters.

Is there some sort of setting I can mess with to make the virtual keyboard more tolerable?

I am a little disappointed that the keys are too small.

Any kind of insight would be appreciated.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

I just went up to the Verizon store and played around with the droid, and fell in love with it.

The only thing is, I am a big guy, with big hands. And it seems on the physical keypad i happen to hit 2 letters at once. This probably has to do with the keys not being raised or spread about. The same with the virtual keyboard, my fingers hit too many different characters.

Is there some sort of setting I can mess with to make the virtual keyboard more tolerable?

Welcome!!! Unfortunately no :(, you can buy a Keyboard replacement app from the Market which is what I did. It's a little better but because it doesn't support multi-touch I still can't type as fast as I can when I'm on my iPod Touch. Or you could install HTC's keyboard on it, IMO it a lot better in functionality and gives the hardware keyboard predictive text. But it's not optimized for the droids screen so it looks crappy. IME the predictive text sometimes goes out for reason I don't know so I dunno lol

As for the hardware keyboard, obviously you can't change it lol but I do suggest trying it to out for at least a few days (a week maybe) your opinions might change. While I don't consider myself to have large fingers my perception of the hardware keyboard did a complete 180 deg turn around after using it for a week, I now love the darn thing!! Can't wait for you to get it!!

OP
gamble22

gamble22

Reaction score

Welcome!!! Unfortunately no :(, you can buy a Keyboard replacement app from the Market which is what I did. It's a little better but because it doesn't support multi-touch I still can't type as fast as I can when I'm on my iPod Touch. Or you could install HTC's keyboard on it, IMO it a lot better in functionality and gives the hardware keyboard predictive text. But it's not optimized for the droids screen so it looks crappy. IME the predictive text sometimes goes out for reason I don't know so I dunno lol

As for the hardware keyboard, obviously you can't change it lol but I do suggest trying it to out for at least a few days (a week maybe) your opinions might change. While I don't consider myself to have large fingers my perception of the hardware keyboard did a complete 180 deg turn around after using it for a week, I now love the darn thing!! Can't wait for you to get it!!

Yeah you are right, I have to give it a try atleast, Ill probably fall in love with it.

I appreciate your advice, thanks a lot. Ill probably be hanging around until i get my droid then post my feedback and questions about it.

-gamble

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sounds good, and remember that you have 30 days to get something different if you hate it..

OP
gamble22

gamble22

Reaction score
I got my hands on it, and its wonderful. I guess the display model i was using was really beat up because the keyboard feels nice and sturdy.

I only have one complaint/question.

The camera and volume buttons feel loose, they jitter when i run my fingers over them and i can move them around a little.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

boatman2220

Reaction score
My camera button is a little wobbly.
There's quite a few people starting to mod and explore the phone. Not quite as far along as they are with WinMobile. But give it another month or two.