Help with phone running warm before I chuck it out the window

shadowsjc

Reaction score
Bionic owner since launch. Stock, .902, no root, standard battery

The phone's been running warm for almost a month now and I'm not sure why. I've uninstalled pretty much all the 3rd party apps I have (including Amazon app store, facebook, pretty much every game, etc.). The problem is that the phone will run pretty warm even when it's just sitting there. Today I fully charged the phone in the morning before I went out to run errands. The phone was sitting in my cupholder for most of the time, but it was really warm. When I checked the battery stats, it was down to 80% after about 45 mins.

My questions:

1) do you think this is battery related? If I call VZW, should I push for them to send me a new battery?
2) do you think it's SIM card related? Should I just go to the store and see if they replace the sim card for me?

I really don't want to factory reset, but I'll save that for a last resort.

What should my approach be when I contact VZW? Thanks

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Download badass battery from the market and see what's using up most of your battery. My guess is it's probably an app running rampant in the background.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Download badass battery from the market and see what's using up most of your battery. My guess is it's probably an app running rampant in the background.

I agree, but have you done the standards???

Battery pull/power cycle, I suggest the battery pull and let it stay out for a few mins. If you don't find an app that's running rampant then....

I would do a factory data reset. They really do clear up alot of issues.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Last edited:

huskur

Reaction score
Also get an app from the market called "air push detector". Its a free app that will find all the 3rd party software that the battery monitor may be missing or that you don't understand. Its a free app and very easy to use

Batman8

Reaction score
I would agree. Check to see if anything in particular is using a lot of your battery. Also if you happen to have it overclocked, I have heard of that causing an overheating problem. After that however, I would guess at it being a hardware issue since I have had my Bionic since last September (9 months) and have only noticed the phone getting really warn about twice, and I am running 734 apps and games (including almost all of the intensive Gameloft HD games) and have no real problem with the phone overheating. I also surf the net a lot as well as stream a lot of movies and sports with no issues.

If it continues, I would look into getting a replacement from Verizon. This is actually a really nice phone. I have been with VZN for 22 years and this is one of the best phones I have had over the years, so don't let this problem frustrate you to wanting to chuck the phone altogether, you may just have a bad one.

Good luck.

Last edited:

CBMGGM

Reaction score
I'm with Batman8; the Bionic is one of the better phones that Moto has put out lately. The dev's and these forums should be able to get this figured out for you. And yes the factory reset is not all that bad. Pay the 6 bucks for TB and all is good.......

OP
S

shadowsjc

Reaction score
i've started out with badass battery monitor and will give that a run this afternoon.

i installed and ran airpush and luckily (or maybe unluckily) it did not find anything.

thanks for the replies

chiefvelo

Reaction score
From personal experience it's likely a poorly written app not testing you processor sleep or even could be from an uninstalled app not completely uninstalling from our system.
Battery stats then hard reset with battery stats and re nstall only needed apps at first.
The way it is

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I vote for throwing it out the window.

j/k

My Bionic was running hot today, yesterday i finally started the animation for Beautiful Widgets. From what I see that was a mistake becausw Beautiful Widgets, which use to run about 2% was the largest user of battery today. I deleted the animations. Didn't need them anyway.

So it's probably an app like everyone else said. Shouldn't be that difficult to find out which one and I really don't think downloading other apps are necessary.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hook when did you get a bionic. I remember you having a d2.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually we did talk about it on Gtalk, you just don't remember. I got the Bionic back in November.