Help! Spending too much for Outlook fx

cavaliercarey

Reaction score
I have Touchdown (trial will expire in 11 days) which works well for my purposes (I currently have MS Exchange 2007). However, I will have to buy it (20 bucks) to keep using it. Plus, I am paying the extra 20$ per month to Verizon for "corporate" access. Would Touchdown work without paying the extra to Verizon? To complicate things, I will not be using MS Exchange in a couple months and I love Outlook (I have read the threads on the limited Outlook "direct" sync possibilities). My Outlook will sync most everything to Google but is there an EASY way to sync Google with my Droid for everything (mail/contacts/tasks/calendar)?

Really, I just need someone who can boil this down for me...an app and Droid newb...to maybe summarize the dozens of threads into a short version of how to keep my brain, computer and Droid on the same wavelength and not have to fork out a fortune? Thank you! :icon_eek:

SeanRinVA

Reaction score
1. You do not need to pay the extra $20. Period.

2. Have you tried the corp. client that came with the Droid?

But bottom line is no - if you don't like the built-in software, you'll have to buy something else.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the verizon charge is foolish and not needed if you have data plan.
I would pay once for touchdown and be done with it, I use it to run from my exchange 2003 server for myself and have suggested the app to my other users than use my mail server.
it just plain works.

REMilk

Reaction score
First I think you should cancel the 'Corporate Access' as I do not think you need it for the Droid.

Copy all the needed settings from Touchdown to the Droid's "Corporate email" app. You will then have access to your company's email and calendaring via the Droid's "Corporate email" and "Corporate Calendar" apps.

I keep two calendars; Business, using MS Exchange which I access via Touchdown (paid) or the droid apps and my personal, which I keep on Google Calendar.

I also used "Pure Calendar" to merge both into a single view. Otehrs will identify additional apps they use for merging the calendars.

Good Luck,

Bob

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I asked my wife how she handled the issue of transferring information for Outlook to Droid. She said she followed the directions on how to transfer the .csv files. She says this is pretty easy.

I don't know why an application is needed here if this is the case. I just want to let you know there is a way to do all of this without using an app. Maybe if you're having issues you can look into doing it this way and it will save you some trouble.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have Touchdown (trial will expire in 11 days) which works well for my purposes (I currently have MS Exchange 2007). However, I will have to buy it (20 bucks) to keep using it. Plus, I am paying the extra 20$ per month to Verizon for "corporate" access. Would Touchdown work without paying the extra to Verizon? To complicate things, I will not be using MS Exchange in a couple months and I love Outlook (I have read the threads on the limited Outlook "direct" sync possibilities). My Outlook will sync most everything to Google but is there an EASY way to sync Google with my Droid for everything (mail/contacts/tasks/calendar)?

Really, I just need someone who can boil this down for me...an app and Droid newb...to maybe summarize the dozens of threads into a short version of how to keep my brain, computer and Droid on the same wavelength and not have to fork out a fortune? Thank you! :icon_eek:

Unless your firm uses Verizon to manage its Exchange server you are NOT obligated to pay the additional $15 for "corporate access." If someone at Verizon told you that you do, report them to their supervisor.

I'm VERY familiar with this issue, having had VZW refund $300 in overcharges as a result of being charged a "corporate" broadband rate illegitimately.

As for the one-time charge for Touchdown, if your time is worth $.50 an hour, purchasing an app that simplifies the connection between an exchange server and your droid is easily worth it.

LLIB9999

Reaction score
If you get mail through outlook will it still be accessable on your desktop or is it only available on the Droid after it flows to the Droid?

OP
C

cavaliercarey

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I canceled the Verizon "corporate" email charge and will buy Touchdown and all is working perfectly! Verizon did refund those charges and I told them it was the store that misinformed me. The store also told me my employer waived activation fees but that was incorrect as well. I must say, Verizon stepped up to the plate on this one. :)

REMilk

Reaction score
Remains available for PC

If you get mail through outlook will it still be accessable on your desktop or is it only available on the Droid after it flows to the Droid?

With Touchdown, my Outlook email remains accessible via PC's. If I read it on the Droid, it appears as read on the PC and vice versa. If I delete it on the Droid, it is moved to the Deleted Items which is accessible on the PC.

the thing I find strange is that I receive Outlook email on the Droid prior to receiving the Outlook email on the PC.

Bob

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
To complicate things, I will not be using MS Exchange in a couple months
A lot of people seem to have glossed over this. Touchdown won't be of any use once you're off Exchange unless you migrate to another supported server.
http://www.nitrodesk.com

My Outlook will sync most everything to Google but is there an EASY way to sync Google with my Droid for everything (mail/contacts/tasks/calendar)?
There are existing threads on Outlook sync which are likely to yield the most current info. From casually skimming them I have yet to see anyone 100% happy with the sync solutions.

I don't know why an application is needed here if this is the case
It's not exactly needed but a lot of people prefer to just sync rather than manually export from Outlook and import into gmail and vice versa to keep everything up to date. Not unlike the whole music sync thing. Some people are ok with manually moving things around. Others prefer to let a sync solution handle it.

You really need to let us know what type of email account you have. Outlook is a mail client that supports many different email servers. Exchange is commonly used with Outlook but that's not always the case despite the assumptions people seem to tend to make around here. The type of email account (or even what methods of access you have if you're on Exchange) can affect the answer.

If you're on Exchange with ActiveSync you can expect what REMilk posted above as email is pushed and everything is synced.

the thing I find strange is that I receive Outlook email on the Droid prior to receiving the Outlook email on the PC.
It's actually not that odd. Happens quite often in the BB world.

Last edited:

LLIB9999

Reaction score
I'm using earthlink.net with a pop3 account and get my mail through Outlook Express. I can access my new mail through the earthlink website but not after it's been received in OE. I don't want to get mail on my Droid if I can't also bring it into OE to answer and manage.