Help....My Droid got wet

767pilot

Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone here can help me. My Moto Droid got wet the other day and stopped working. I put it in a bag of rice for a few days and noticed that the LCD was on. The screen however, was dead. I tried to run my finger in the pattern I had set up and I could feel the "bumps" and then my alarm went off. The phone seems to be working (I didn't try calling it as I had another phone activated by then) but the screen is dead.

Questions-
If I go to VZ and just say "my screen died", will they know it got wet from some indicator somewhere?

Is there a third party place that repairs these or sells screens?

I have the insurance but I am trying to avoid using it as it is $89 and I have had to use it once for a lost phone already

Thanks in advance!

OP

767pilot

Reaction score
I just did some more reading and saw where the wet indicator was. Mine is still white with XXX's on it. There is a small piece on the battery that looks the same way.

manningfan10

Reaction score
Thenu could prolly fool verizon, thats their only way to tell unless u can actually see water in the fone

regkilla

Reaction score
My Droid's wet indicator is still white even after milk spilled all over it. That didnt affect it at all. It's Droid Almighty :D

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are hidden water indicators. I don't recommend trying to slip this under warranty. You got it wet, deal with it responsibly.

Next time, take the battery out immediately. This should always be the first step for any wet electronics.

From what I've seen, you'll easily spend $89 for repairs.

mjlthuston

Reaction score
Be careful on the Insurance, I got a replacement for mine after i broke the pins in the charging socket, and they gave my a phone that wouldnt get off the Boot Loader screen. had to wait another week to get a new one from them

scoder

Reaction score
Bring it to Verizon. I used to be a tech there, they will only check the 2 indicators you are looking at. You'll get a refurbished one on the spot.

achair

Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I do not agree with the alcohol method stated in the OP for the thread "How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY".

My Droid got wet recently and after using 99% alcohol to "displace" the water, the alcohol permanently damaged the screen's display when the water did not affect it. I also suspect the alcohol damaged the sensitivity of my Droid's power button, volume-up button, and headphone jack.

The aforementioned thread is blocked for replies, so I'm posting this information here in hopes of saving some other poor Droid owner. Instead of using alcohol, just remove the battery cover, battery, and micro SD card, and let the phone sit on its own for a few days with some silica gel packs to dry out. Do not use alcohol!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I do not agree with the alcohol method stated in the OP for the thread "How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY".

My Droid got wet recently and after using 99% alcohol to "displace" the water, the alcohol permanently damaged the screen's display when the water did not affect it. I also suspect the alcohol damaged the sensitivity of my Droid's power button, volume-up button, and headphone jack.

The aforementioned thread is blocked for replies, so I'm posting this information here in hopes of saving some other poor Droid owner. Instead of using alcohol, just remove the battery cover, battery, and micro SD card, and let the phone sit on its own for a few days with some silica gel packs to dry out. Do not use alcohol!

I'd say do it the honest way and tell Verizon the truth. When the phone is shipped back, it is literally torn down (spare parts, Certified Like New Replacements, etc.) and if they see the hidden indicators are discolored, they CAN charge your account the full retail price of the phone. Asurion also has the authority to persue legal action if you're dishonest. You can only file 2 claims in 12 months so just be extra careful from now on.

KiCK

Reaction score
It must've gotten pretty wet. I left my Droid in the rain recently and I've had no problems since then. :icon_eek:

OP

767pilot

Reaction score
Follow up-
I took it to Verizon yesterday and they looked it over, starting with the moisture indicators and scratched their heads a bit before issuing me a new phone. Thanks all!

OP

767pilot

Reaction score
It must've gotten pretty wet. I left my Droid in the rain recently and I've had no problems since then. :icon_eek:

Actually, it didn't. A few days before my wife accidently gave it a pretty good splashing and nothing happened. I guess it just depends on luck and timing. From now on, no phones out while waterskiing!dancedroid