Help, I am being gps tracked.

landdesigner

Reaction score
I really should of known, it just never occured to me.

My 13 year old has an old Droid with no phone connection, just to use for music and apps. He downloaded a "Girlfriend Tracker", and told me the next day that he tracked me and my boring life at home the night before from grandma's, using my phone number.

The mostly uneventful life I lead does not cause alot of excitement for anyone tracking me, however this is explaining alot of questions I am getting asked by someone I am dating, that also has a droid.

In doing the research I have figured out how to turn off all the tracking except for the 911. But is there any chance they can still track me with a better app? Even worse, what else is out there in the app world that may give this person access to my phone logs or text messages?, see who I am talking to?

Is there an app I can download to keep them from doing this?

clintro

Reaction score
Sounds like someone installed a tracking app on your phone. or Google maps.... or Facebook posting....

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You can go to settings -- apps -- all apps and look for any app that looks suspicious. Most of the time apps like this remain hidden from the app menu but you'll be able to see them in that settings menu. From there you can uninstall it.

as for a "counter app" I am not aware of any.

OP
L

landdesigner

Reaction score
I have google maps on this phone, it came on there. I will go over the apps, but I know I can't access facebook locations unless the standalone gps is turned on. So I would think they can't use facebook when I turn the standalone gps off.

If I can disable or uninstall google maps I just may do that.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
GPS trackers can remotely turn on the GPS, I use an app called SeekDroid and do so periodically just to make sure it's working right.

In Google Maps make sure you don't have Latitude on

OP
L

landdesigner

Reaction score
Been looking for wierd apps and programs, there are so many things in there I don't know what they do.

In Google maps, there is not place to adjust settings on my phone, or at least I can't find one. Also found an app called "latitude", it does not seem to be turned on, it does not show up as a running app and when I went to the app settings it didn't even show up on the list so I could remove it.

Right now everything that is GPS is turned off that can be through settings, all but the 911. However until I get a chance to go through this phone I will be wondering if there is a keystroke logger or anything else. When I went throught the apps that could track, I saw many scary apps.

Also, how about downloading a "task killer", could that catch it???? And which one would you recommend?