HELP-ADB Won't see phone (Can't Root-ICS)

Spyder5157

Reaction score
Well, first I should say, I have totally removed/reinstalled the entire SDK, including platform-tools w/ the adb.

I have been waiting to root, till the warranty was out (Got lucky when rooted on Gingerbread, and got a replacement, so I decided to wait this time)....

Well, very excited to root again, I attempted using the 'Once Click' batch file, AND I also used the 'Batman' utility.

BOTH FAIL.

I then, in the command prompt, ran "adb devices" and as I thought, the system doesn't even see my phone. When I run the Batman utility, it says "Waiting for device" but nothing happens, which is why I looked for devices in the first place.

The computer itself sees the phone no problem, as I can transfer files, etc.....Just the adb can't find it...

I am at a total loss.....PLEASE HELP?????

THANK YOU .....Spyder5157

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Did you install the drivers that come with the utility? Also, what version of matts utility are you using? Not the same one you used for gingerbread I hope. You want matts utility 1.8, 1.81, or 1.82

OP
S

Spyder5157

Reaction score
Did you install the drivers that come with the utility? Also, what version of matts utility are you using? Not the same one you used for gingerbread I hope. You want matts utility 1.8, 1.81, or 1.82

Thank you for the reply....unfortunate...ugh....

I did re-install the drivers that came w/ v1.82 (although I already had Motos 5.9.0 installed).
Same thing going on, when I run the utility, comes up, starts no problem, but when I click "Root", and go....it states, "Waiting for device"

At that point it could sit there all day??? Since I reinstalled the drivers, I ran adb thru the cmd prompt again, and ran "adb devices" and again, it does not appear as a devices even connected to the system.

As I mentioned, the "Computer" sees the phone, as I can transfer files, etc.....It's just adb that will not see the device??

So....I guess I'll say again...HELP?.....lol....I'm going crazy been working on this thing forever....ugh.

THANKS......Spyder

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
A shot in the dark...but do you have usb connection set as media device or camera, not as mass storage?

OP
S

Spyder5157

Reaction score
A shot in the dark...but do you have usb connection set as media device or camera, not as mass storage?

YES...I tried both, several times.

One thing I noticed....Even though I have installed all the latest drivers and re-installed the SDK, etc....

In my 'Device Manager' , I do not see "ADB INTERFACE" or anything like that, so for some reason, adb which I believe should be in there, is not.

I did read a post about doing a factory restore on the phone, uninstall all the drivers, etc....BUT, I'm convinced it's on the PC end and REALLY want to avoid a factory restore if possible????

THANKS AND HOPEFULLY SOMEBODY WILL STUMBLE ON SOMETHING...
THANKS ....S

OP
S

Spyder5157

Reaction score
The more I read and look, I"m more than a little convinced, that the fact that adb does not appear in my device manager is the problem.

The RAZR is there, and all the USB drivers are there, but I see shots of others device manager screen and they have ADB at the top of the list, ANY IDEA??? How/Why I don't have that and how to get it installed....???

In the past, with several phones I never had this issue, it was just there?

THANKS FOR THE HELP???? S

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
With mattlgroff's 1.82 utility, start from scratch, using option #1 to return to stock. Then proceed from there. Follow these instructions, which also include the .215 leak but you can skip that leak if you prefer.

Going back to stock .211:
*On your pc, download and install Matt's Razr Utility 1.8 or 1.81 or 1.82. You can find 1.82 here:
Droid Razr Utility 1.82 [Windows] For Verizon Droid Razr And Droid Razr Maxx Only - DroidRzr.com
*Extract that utility to its own folder on your computer...you must extract the file on your pc. It will not work from your phone.
*After the utility is extracted, go to the Motorola drivers folder in the utility and make sure you have the latest Motorola drivers installed on your pc.
*make sure your phone is set to usb debugging mode (menu>system setting>developer options).
*Power your phone off. Then power your phone on while holding down your power, the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously.
*Connect your phone to your computer with the factory supplied usb cable.
*On your phone select AP Fastboot, then in the utility select option 1..."restore phone to stock .211. Do not unplug the usb cable until the utility finishes.
*When completed your phone should reboot to stock .211.
*After running option 1, restart phone to make sure all is fine.

Install the .215 leak:
*check to make sure usb debugging mode is checked (menu-> system setting-> developer options).
*Then in settings, go to “Security" and check “Unknown sources."
*install the .215 leak following instructions here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/217843-mattyps-215-leak-classroom.html

Root your of Razr or Razr Maxx:
*Simple step by step instructions for rooting using Mattlgroff's utility (use the same utility that you used to go back to stock) can be found on post #89 here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a-9.html
*If you plan on installing roms, install safestrap instead of bootstrap.

Safestrap:
*Once safestrap is installed, follow the steps in quidot's thread to prepare safestrap's safe and non-safe side so you are ready for those roms... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/200942-safestrap-guide-razr.html

OP
S

Spyder5157

Reaction score
With mattlgroff's 1.82 utility, start from scratch, using option #1 to return to stock. Then proceed from there. Follow these instructions, which also include the .215 leak but you can skip that leak if you prefer.

Going back to stock .211:
*On your pc, download and install Matt's Razr Utility 1.8 or 1.81 or 1.82. You can find 1.82 here:
Droid Razr Utility 1.82 [Windows] For Verizon Droid Razr And Droid Razr Maxx Only - DroidRzr.com
*Extract that utility to its own folder on your computer...you must extract the file on your pc. It will not work from your phone.
*After the utility is extracted, go to the Motorola drivers folder in the utility and make sure you have the latest Motorola drivers installed on your pc.
*make sure your phone is set to usb debugging mode (menu>system setting>developer options).
*Power your phone off. Then power your phone on while holding down your power, the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously.
*Connect your phone to your computer with the factory supplied usb cable.
*On your phone select AP Fastboot, then in the utility select option 1..."restore phone to stock .211. Do not unplug the usb cable until the utility finishes.
*When completed your phone should reboot to stock .211.
*After running option 1, restart phone to make sure all is fine.

Install the .215 leak:
*check to make sure usb debugging mode is checked (menu-> system setting-> developer options).
*Then in settings, go to “Security" and check “Unknown sources."
*install the .215 leak following instructions here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/217843-mattyps-215-leak-classroom.html

Root your of Razr or Razr Maxx:
*Simple step by step instructions for rooting using Mattlgroff's utility (use the same utility that you used to go back to stock) can be found on post #89 here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a-9.html
*If you plan on installing roms, install safestrap instead of bootstrap.

Safestrap:
*Once safestrap is installed, follow the steps in quidot's thread to prepare safestrap's safe and non-safe side so you are ready for those roms... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/200942-safestrap-guide-razr.html

First off.....THANK YOU SO MUCH, for taking the time with the reply. I especially like the 'Title' on your ID ("Rescue Squad" !!), excellent...lol....

Anyway, I'll tell ya, and could use an opinion here.....When it comes to the driver installation on the pc, I have installed/removed/installed so many different drivers, and stuff relating to this that I'm 1/2 convinced to bite the bullet and reinstall windows to have everything fresh....UGH...(I do have an external Networked HD, so no files would be lost, but installing all that software, UGH!!)

Well, that said, I do have a second laptop, w/ almost nothing on it, so I'm going to use that to avoid any corruption.

OK, NOW, Sorry for the blab prior, but the reason for my reply: I was "Considering" a factory restore. I booted the phone w/ vol +/-/Power.

NOW THE INTERESTING PART: I selected "Recovery" (For the Stock Recovery)...The phone when black, then......A "Dead" (On his back) Android Guy, w/ a RED triangle and "!" - So....It would not even go into the stock recovery.

Well, considering that the "Warranty" on this phone expires NEXT WEEK, I called, blah blah, and I now have a replacement phone on the way.

I figured even if I could fix it, I have an opportunity to get a nice fresh one, right before the warranty expires, so I'm going to do that, then resume where I left off here.

One issue I want to work on in the meantime:
WHY IS ADB NOT SHOWING UP In the "Device Manager" ???

I did install the full SDK, including "Platform Tools", and have adb in my path, BUT, the fact it's not in the Device Mgr. makes it clear to me that it will not see it via the usb for use of the Batman utility.

Considering I have 2 days to mess w/ it I am going to take your above advice, and see if it will even see the phone.

Honestly, I am doubtful, but I will try, the only difference here is that the phone will be in the fastboot when I attempt to use the utility, but the fact that it would not see the device before, I am doubtful that it will see it this way???

I will report back in a few, BUT, as I mentioned, I am really thinking that the issue is on the PC end, since ADB is nowhere to be found in the device mgr...

BUT, the fact that the phone won't even go into it's own recovery tells me something is up....duh...lol....so MAYBE it's not installing what it should when connected.

Anyway...THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE REPLY......I am going to try that now, (I don't want to "Root" right before I send it back, and get accused to something and have to pay for this exchange, but going back to .211 won't be harmful, and at least I will see if I can get the pc to talk to the phone.

THANKS AGAIN, Any advice on WHY ADB isn't in Device Mgr. / Is it the phone that should put it there????

OK......More to follow, after I give that a shot....THANKS AGAIN.

S

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, crossing fingers...good luck! And when you see the dead Android guy on his back (lmao) push both volume up and down buttons for a second. That will bring you to the restore menu.

Not sure why it is not finding your device but the laptop might be the secret. Make sure, like Josh said, that you are using the stock Motorola cable (some cables are for charging only and don't do data transfer).

If you get this phone doing what you want, then you can always return the refurbished one back.

OP
S

Spyder5157

Reaction score
WELL TisMyDroid !!! What you suggested was a BIG HELP !!!!!

When I connected the phone to the computer WHILE IN FASTBOOT, IT DID INSTALL "ANDROID PHONE" (With the ADB below it), IN THE DEVICE MANAGER.

So, in order to avoid any problems with this warranty exchange, I'm not going to attempt a root right now, but it brings one BIG Question to you....

CAN I RUN THE "ROOT ICS" option FROM FASTBOOT?? Or does it need to be in the regular powered up status??

I really wondering WHY that stuff was not installed into device manager when the phone was connected normally.

It just finished booting, and is restored to .211 - So, actually that is really good, since it will be sent back to them w/ everything wiped.

Well, finally, I just tried, and when I hit the 3 buttons and select "Recover" for factory recover, I still get the dead android guy w/ the red triangle "!", now if I hit the 2 vol. buttons the recovery does come up, but the dead guy is still there, so there is SOMETHING WRONG????

Anyway, I thank you again for you help.........I just have the one lingering question, and that is, when I get the "New" phone, and I go to Root it, Obviously, for some reason it needs to be in Fastboot for the proper stuff to be installed into device manager, so will it work properly to Root from fastboot??

I guess I'll find out, and keep the thread posted, but I really appreciate the help.....I had pretty much given up and thought I messed up some driver, but I guess the phone doesn't load up the adb stuff unless your in Fastboot.

Well, thoughts on that would be appreciated.....I REALLY AM SORRY FOR ALL THE BABBLE, But I just felt compelled to give all the detail.....THANKS AGAIN.

Looking forward to you thoughts on what to do when I go to root (If being in fastboot is ok), also if you have any thoughts why I have the dead android guy?....

Take care, MUCH APPRECIATED.....S

OP
S

Spyder5157

Reaction score
SORRY...QUICK PS/Update: Now, when NOT in fastboot, just regular booted up, NOW it installs the "Android Phone" into the Device Manager, including ADB.

So, SOMETHING must have been glitched or something and this restore to .211 fixed something, so THANKS AGAIN......

I'm confident now that it will be able to be rooted no problem, I'm almost wishing I didn't get the replacement, as now I have to wait for it, BUT, still getting that Dead Android when I try to go to recover bugs me, so considering the warranty is out this week, might as well get a fresh refurb to start off w/.

(It does SUCK that the Warranty is only a year, but a 2 year contract is in place, if something happens during that 2nd year...Your screwed...ugh)

OK, I've babbled enough. I am DEFINITELY on the right track. I don't know why it was not putting that in device manager before, but you were right, so KUDOS.

THANKS...S

OP
S

Spyder5157

Reaction score
THANKS GUYS !!!!!!! Actually, I made a mis-statement, I just tested again (BTW: Using the cable that came w/ the phone for this).

When I plug it in to the PC...."Android Phone (W/ the adb)" does NOT appear in device mgr, UNLESS in fastboot. So, I'll be reporting back in a couple days when I get the new one...BUT:

I still have the lingering question if I'll be able to run the "Root" option from Batman, while in fastboot? (Or I wonder if I connect in fastboot to get that stuff in the device mgr, although it appears to disappear when disconnected?).

So, THANKS...And I'll update soon.....(If you know about rooting while in fastboot, let me know?)

All my very best, and thanks for putting up w/ my babble.....S

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The babbling is perfectly fine and is actually helpful...the more info the better. I am going to come back to this a little later so I can take my time with it. Some of it I am learning as I'm going too.

OP
S

Spyder5157

Reaction score
Well.....I decided not to wait for the new phone, thinking it is on the way, it will be the last replacement I will be able to get, so I figured if I'm going to screw something up, this is a good phone to do, since I'll be sending it back.

I put it in fastboot, and ran Matt's utility....Just like worked for flashing back to the regular OTA release.......

Well, I was in fastboot, "Android Phone (W/adb)" was in the device manager, I selected "ROOT".

The utility ran and continued to say "Waiting for device".........NOTHING

SO, that does not work. I rebooted the phone (Since not fastboot now...FOR SOME REASON??? "ANDROID PHONE" disappears from device manager)...

I then ran again, and got the same result "Waiting for device??.

I also tried rooting via the "Droidrazrroot" method, which includes adb, etc. and claims to have everything, but NO LUCK.

SO......JUST A WILD GUESS, BUT, I think that in device manager, IT MUST have that "Android Phone" and everything in there and ready WHEN THE PHONE IS IN IT"S REGULAR BOOT.

This is all crazy, since as I mentioned, I waited and waited to root, and finally went for it, and NOTHING. (Just FYI, I have rooted and changed kernels, etc. on several phones in the past, so I'm not a total noob...lol).

Also, in command prompt, running "adb devices" shows NOTHING. So, I can't do anything??

Anyway, as in the title??? HELP?? THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, I JUST HOPE I CAN FIGURE THIS OUT...

Figured I would update, just to give the latest.....all the very best....S