hello

jamielm76

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jamie, i own an LG Ally have had it since july-i'm new to the droid/smartphone/3G world, but am hoping to get used to it and figure out all the ins and outs of it.
I found this forum just today when i was searching for some answers about questions i have-issues i am having with my phone. I'm looking forward to reading thru posts and figuring out some new things tips, tricks, and advice on navigating around my new phone.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Forum

What kind of issues are you having ?

OP
J

jamielm76

Reaction score
i use yahoo as my primary email, but for the past few days since the lg ally update from verizon came through my phone-i'm not getting alerts that i have new emails, and when i goto my inbox and hit refresh it says connection error. and it wont show any new messages...even tho i know i have some.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
We all have issues with the native email client for Android--it seems the best solution is to use a third party application like K9 available in the Market

OP
J

jamielm76

Reaction score
I've had this phone since july, never had email problems with it until 4 days ago when the update loaded...but maybe it just took awhile for my phone to realize it wants to mess with me lol kidding. Is k9 another email set up? i'll have to go check it out, thanks for the replies and help. I look forward to using this forum, i have a feeling i'm gonna need u guys and gals while i still get used to all the bells and whistles droid/smartphone offers :)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anything you need, feel free to ask...we like to help :)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My brother has one of those, he likes it. Do you still get the mails and aren't being told you have them, or are new mails not showing up? Just asking to make sure it isn't a synching issue.

This may not be an option for you but you could switch to gmail too. I have 3-4 other accounts get picked up by one single gmail account and get to read them all from one central place. On the web gmail lets me respond back with the original email address if I'd like to.
http://picobit.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/how-to-read-yahoo-mail-in-gmail/ help.

However, if your phone did used to do something, then got an update and no longer does, then you shouldn't have to jump through hoops. If no one here has a good answer call up verizon and ask what broke. Then, let us all know the results!

And...welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
OP
J

jamielm76

Reaction score
the odd thing is i can goto my computer and check and the emails are there, but if i check it from my phone they arent. It's like it randomly catches my emails-last night said i had none but when i checked this morning it said i had 16 new mails-they were all the test emails i had my friends send me while i was trying to figure it out. is there something on my phone i should have that makes it sync? like the power control widget thats there, should i have that enabled or not?
well verizon-i called them spent 2 hrs with tech support all to no avail...did everything, master reset, checked incoming and outgoing settings, exhausted all options they had at that time...so i guess i gotta deal lol.
ya, i can use a gmail account it's just i've had the yahoo for about 10 yrs now it's what all my family, friends, accounts, everything messages to so it'll just be a pain in the tush to get everyone used to emailing me at a new addy-but it's lookin more and more like thats the route i'll have to take.
Other than that i really do like my ally lol

OP
J

jamielm76

Reaction score
i tried that webpage is says it no longer exists. so you can check all your email accounts from your 1 gmail account? that would be excellent...how do i go about doing that?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have all of my hotmail forwarded to my gmail...it works perfectly!

you should easily be able to set that up within your yahoo mail account via computer

OP
J

jamielm76

Reaction score
is there a way to do that without having to pay for it? i went into yahoo and it says i have to upgrade to yahoo mail plus in order to have my mail forwarded to another account. thanks again for the help ya'll are great :)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
With Gmail you can extract mail from another account, it will bring over all of your saved mail, folders, contacts, and continue to bring new mail over for thirty days...this is to aid in switching from one email client to another

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i tried that webpage is says it no longer exists. so you can check all your email accounts from your 1 gmail account? that would be excellent...how do i go about doing that?

my bad...there is a /might at the end of the above link. This link even covers what you noticed about paid accounts too. This should cost you nothing. The link should have been this one:

How to read Yahoo Mail in Gmail Picobit

And yes, the power control widget should have the sync icon lit up. The icons go like this:

wireless || bluetooth || GPS || Sync || screen brightness

It took me a while to figure out what the sync one was!

Last edited:
OP
J

jamielm76

Reaction score
thanks christim i'm gonna check into that. btw...it took me forever to figure out what the one next to the sync was...could not for the life of me come up with what it was for....my derrr...gps lol