Hello There

USER

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm brand new to the droid community and new to the android platform on the day the Motorola Droid hit the shelves. To be honest I'm slightly bored with the my phone and would love to gain root access and install 2.1. However, I am a mac user and would appreciate some guidance to the most up to date how too and downloads out there. Thank you all for your consideration and I'm excited to be a part of this growing community.

Best,

USER

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I use a Mac. I'm rooted so how may I help?

Mike

OP
U

USER

Reaction score
Where to start....im really a noob to the custom phone scene and want to get it right.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are considering rooting your phone, I suggest that you go to the Droid Hacking section of the forum and read as many threads as possible. There are several videos on YouTube that step you through the rooting process. Some processes such as, DMUpdater (Loading DroidMod Roms with DMupdater, Reflashing to Older Sholes/DroidMod Roms), do a lot of the work for you. Other processes such as Matth3W's tutorial (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html) require you to enter the SU (super user) commands yourself. Rom manager is a new application that has just been released. I've not used that particular app so I'm not comfortable providing any suggestions. I prefer the hands on approach so I used Matt's tutorial to root my phone.

The newest rom releases are 2.1. Since you are moving from stock which is a 2.0.1 you will need to wipe your data and cache.

At first, all of this may seem daunting, but if you prepare by reading, making notes, etc you will successfully root your phone. There will be someone here to help you every step of the way.

Hope this helps and gets you started.

Mike