Hear call incoming, can't answer

CBusTBone

Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated!

I've had a Droid 2 Global for about 3 weeks now and everything has been great. But yesterday I had a major issue on 3 separate occasions.

When the phone is on but in standby (or whatever you call it when it's just a black screen waiting to be active), I get a phone call. Usually, I would then see my contact who is calling and have answer or ignore options in green and red.

Instead, yesterday, I could hear the ringing but nothing appeared on screen. I pressed the power button to see my unlock screen, had to do the finger swyping password, and when the phone was unlocked it was nothing but a black screen, still ringing. I was not able to answer.

This happened again about an hour later, blank/black screen, ringing sound, and also the blue indicator light at the top right corner. That light stayed on even after the missed call. And I had to hold the power button to restart the phone after these events.

Then last night, I was typing a text message when the phone started ringing. But I didn't have an option to answer. I hit the home button to exit my text message but rather than showing the home screen, it was a black screen with just the header bar at the top. No way to answer.

Any idea what's going on? I've also had incoming calls that I had no problem answering yesterday and today, but 3 random times really frustrated me.

The only change I can think of is 2 days ago I received a notification that a software update was ready to install, and I allowed it.

So now it's system version.2.4.330.A956.Verizon.en.US running Android 2.2.

Thanks!

cfalzone

Reaction score
Has anyone found an answer to this problem. I am having the same issue with my Droid 2 Global.

Normally when the phone rings I automatically get the screen with green/red buttons to answer or not. I don't have to unlock or anything. Works great.

About every three or four calls, my phone rings but stays locked. After I slide to unlock (I don't have a pattern or pin) it goes to a black screen and status bar with no options to answer the call or not. The status bar sometimes has a "red x" over the signal meter while this happens. I cannot even press the unluck button to silence the ring. I do not get a notification of a missed call or any way to even tell who was just trying to call me.

This is a work phone and I need it to be reliable if I get a work related call.

TIA for help/suggestions.

LarryHoldaway

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue: whenever my screen is off/locked, I cannot answer an incoming call. I swipe to unlock, and I am greeted with a black screen showing only the notification bar. No buttons respond (include the power switch) until the phone stops ringing. The call never shows up in my call log.

Zaces

Reaction score
I would like to report this issue on my phone as well.

Rooted but no custom roms. Droid2 Global.

bsp2465

Reaction score
Same Boat

Same problem here. I was worried for a while I was the only one. Been happening since the weekend. (Of course it behaves *perfectly* while I'm at the Verizon store). Anybody find any solution yet?

Zaces

Reaction score
No to the previous poster. This is a real software issue. It is a bug and not a hardware fault. Please read the entire post.

I would like to report that no software updates have been made to my phone but this happens much less frequently. Also, I have switched a lot of my called to SIP droid and it DOESN'T happen at all over SIP droid. I think it has to do with the factory dialer bugging out and not displaying the software buttons to answer the call or not completely waking up the phone.

One possible conclusion is that I stopped using SMS over my phone and use only google txting. I did this to save money and also because it doesn't stop the 3g data call to receive the txt messages so it doesn't interrupt my other programs. Perhaps somehow texting or the switching of the radios on/off or back/forward is related.

edmondswriter

Reaction score
I, too, experienced this problem on a relatively new Droid 2 (approx 2 months). It was a critical call so it was extremely frustrating to have the phone ring but not be able to answer it. While I had the black screen, I was unable to power off the phone. It wasn't responsive for about 5 minutes and then it came back. Very bad experience.

blackhawk1134

Reaction score
Same issue here too. Had my Droid 2 for months now and just recently started happening. Also a couple times receiving txt.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

jimisbell

Reaction score
This wont fix the software problem, but on my Droid X I often will press some button while I am fumbling with the phone trying to get it out of the houlster and by the time I have it out the screen is changed and I find NO WAY to get back to the answer screen. BUT I found a solution. Download the "Shake Call" app. No matter what screen you are on all you have to do is to shake the phone to answer it. Works every time!!!dancedroid

Last edited:

estillbham

Reaction score
Same problem

Well, this thread is not encouraging. The problem was first reported in November 2010 and is still occurring.

I having the same problem with a Droid 2 with Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.

In my case, nothing I do can get the screen to "wake up" or get the phone to stop ringing. I have not timed the rings, but it goes on for 12 or more rings. I must reboot the phone to get back to a normal system.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

jimisbell

Reaction score
Did you not read my answer? The Shake Call application works perfectly !!! I use it exclusively for this purpose.

estillbham

Reaction score
I see it now.

When I first went through the forum, I did not see your answer (I must have gotten blurry-eyed with all the "it's happening to me" responses). I will try that. Thanks.

AZMountaineer

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem, and so is my son.

Both original Motorola Droid A855. Android 2.2.2. Verizon. Not rooted or tampered with.

Phone rings, but sometimes goes to the lock screen as I pick it up. It may display the caller first, but not always.

If it does show the caller, or if I recognize the ring tone, I can unlock the screen, go to phone mode, attempt to place a call to the caller, (all while the phone is still ringing), and when I go to place the call, THEN it gives me the answer slider and I can answer the call.

If I don't know who the caller was, or if I'm not quick enough, I cannot answer the call at all.

Any suggestions?