Heads up: PS3 Jailbreak wiki tracker!

Phreaker47

Reaction score
PSFreedom: PS3 Jailbreak for Droid is here! (Other Android phones too, OP updated)

Some of you may have heard the buzz about the PS3 getting a jailbreak through USB. It's real, and the code is currently being ported to Android platforms.

Wiki tracker: Device compatibility list - PSFreedom Wiki

Nexus One is already out, more to come... waiting for Droid 1 myself.

FYI... avoid talking about the "backup manager" aspect of this. That's the shady side of town... the jailbreak itself is of course perfectly legal. :)

Update: Now available, link/guide here: Motorola Droid - PSFreedom Wiki
Track progress/availability on other Android devices: Device compatibility list - PSFreedom Wiki

Note: although the wiki states you cannot charge your phone while this kernel is installed, charging has been just fine for me!

I recommend buying the Websharing app from the market... this gives you an alternative to USBMass file access, which you will lose with this kernel installed. With this app you can read/write your SD card through WiFi and your web browser. Now I don't feel the need to switch back and forth between kernels. I just leave this exploit on my phone.

Last edited:
OP
P

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I thought I'd be seeing a PSP port of this code first... but now it's looking like I may see it on Droid first... time will tell.

And for anyone with a PS3 that may have been living under a rock until now... make sure you are on the current system software version, 3.41. If you want to try this, you won't want to install the next update (whenever that will be) that will undoubtedly disable this exploit.

OP
P

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Just a warning to everyone... if you do install this, whether you install "game backups" or not, there is a definite risk of being banned from PSN in the future, similar to what MS has done with the Xbox 360. Personally, I have two PS3s, so I'm willing to guinea-pig one of them with this, although I will avoid signing into my PSN account with it.

I'm waiting for either the Droid 1 or PSP port for this exploit.

johnnyb15613

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Subscribing as well.........I swear to God that I'm in love with Android!dancedroid

victorythagr8

Reaction score
Just a warning to everyone... if you do install this, whether you install "game backups" or not, there is a definite risk of being banned from PSN in the future, similar to what MS has done with the Xbox 360. Personally, I have two PS3s, so I'm willing to guinea-pig one of them with this, although I will avoid signing into my PSN account with it.

thank god i dont use PSN at all on my PS3. I play all of my online games on 360

OP
P

Phreaker47

Reaction score
... waiting for Droid 1 myself.

Subscribing to this thread. Can you post when the Droid 1 falls?

Subscribing as well.........I swear to God that I'm in love with Android!dancedroid

Just keep checking this wiki, that's all I'm doing: Device compatibility list - PSFreedom Wiki

Firmware 3.42 just dropped today. DO NOT install it, it is confirmed to patch the exploit.

You can still go on PSN under 3.41 with a proxy server. Apps like "PS3ProxyServer" will do the trick. Essentially, these trick the PS3 into thinking the firmware it has is current by intercepting the check request and sending back a custom response.

stinky180

Reaction score
Can't wait for the D1 port! Anyone on here helping out with development?

Rizzler

Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from the looks of the XDA forums there is little, if any, devs working on the droid port.

Theres one guy who thinks he has something that might work for the milestone, but he's elusive and hasn't disclosed much.

It might be a good bit of a wait.... I've been watching every second since.

This might spare me from buying a new PS3, as I get disc errors all the time and apparently the PS3 has a fragile lens (so I hear).

rda990

Reaction score

Not really,if you are smart and use the new manager that makes it seem as if you are playing "Modern Warfare 2" they wouldn't be able to figure it out.I also am waiting on one for Droid 1 and sorry to say but i think they said that the PSP port one is impossible to do.

If anyone wants to stay on 3.41 and not update watch my video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT0CUjBtIw4]YouTube - How to bypass PS3 3.42 3.21 Update (or any other)[/ame]

ask any questions.