Have 'Andy' Remote Start You Car or Activate Home Alarm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Viper_Android-SmartStart.jpg

Here's a cool new device to make use of your Android's talents: The Viper SmartStart from Directed Electronics. With one of their kits installed and the Android App, you can start your car from your house, you can arm the alarm on your house, you can lock and unlock the car, unlock the trunk, trigger the panic alarm, call for help or a tow, or use it to track where the car is parked. Pretty slick! This thing is a bit pricey with the kits starting between $300 and $600 bucks, but perhaps worth it for all the security enhancements. It's actually been out since July, so if any of you guys have one, let us know how you like it in the forums.

Source: Viper.com via AndroidPolice

B

bthomp21

I searched the cheaper model on google and it comes out to be about 200 dollars.

I am thinking of doing this for my car and my wifes car. I wonder if there is any way around the 3 dollar a month charge. Why would I need to do that if I install it and install the app? Any answers?

B

bthomp21

Hmm, guess I should have read a little better. It is 200 for the smart start. So I have to buy a complete viper system, then buy smart start.

Reaction score
I just feel that is just way too much to spend on this. Remote starters have always been so expensive. I think that is really cool and I would really like to have it. The price is just way out there. Then the service plan they also want you to use.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
The $3 monthly charge is likely for a wireless service through which your vehicle receives the signal from your phone.

Also, I suppose the reliability of this product relies heavily on whether your vehicle is located in an area where the service providers signal is adequate.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Remote starters aren't that expensive, my father owns an audio store in VA and sells them for $169 installed with a lifetime warranty on parts and installation. Cheaper than my Droid.

I just feel that is just way too much to spend on this. Remote starters have always been so expensive. I think that is really cool and I would really like to have it. The price is just way out there. Then the service plan they also want you to use.

DroidForums Junkie!!

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Remote starters aren't that expensive, my father owns an audio store in VA and sells them for $169 installed with a lifetime warranty on parts and installation. Cheaper than my Droid.

DroidForums Junkie!!

For that price, where abouts in VA (I'm in Fairfax)? I've known about this viper system for a while, but didn't want to because of the price, and install. My new F150 is my baby, and linking her with my Droid would be awesome.

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Sounds awesome, except for the $3 per month. I've been looking to add an alarm to my car, and I've especially been after a remote start! These cold winter mornings have been sucking hardcore lately...

If it didn't have the $3 per month charge, I'd start investing. Surely they can think of a means of allowing an android phone to communicate with an alarm system without going through the cellular network. Maybe make an ad-hoc wifi without internet access and an extremely strict encryption key...?

I dunno, I'm rambling now while being stingy.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Wouldn't you still have to be in range for that? This thing makes it so that if I'm in FL and my car in VA, I can still make sure it's locked, and can even set the car alarm off on it, and be 1000 miles away.

B

bthomp21

whats the 3 dollars a month for. shouldnt that mean its on some type of satellite that you are communication thru?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sounds Unlimited in Danville, VA. I can PM you their number if you'd like..?

DroidForums Junkie!!

For that price, where abouts in VA (I'm in Fairfax)? I've known about this viper system for a while, but didn't want to because of the price, and install. My new F150 is my baby, and linking her with my Droid would be awesome.

DroidForums Junkie!!

Infiniti87

Reaction score
I cant believe people are gonna complain about $3.00 a month. Really?

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
People buy these $600 (retail price) phones and complain about a $.99 app or a $3 subscription. DUH?!

I would LOVE to be able to have my car sync up to my phone. What I'd like even more than a car stater would be for it to sync up with the car's computer so I could keep tabs on maintenance info (like if there's a problem with a part in the car or something).

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Same as with visual voicemail. 75¢ a week is NOTHING!

I cant believe people are gonna complain about $3.00 a month. Really?

DroidForums Junkie!!

Google Voice baby. No need for visual, transcribes it almost perfectly, got my own custom VM number and free text messages, and its all FREE. That's an Fyou to Verizon, not any dev.

Sounds Unlimited in Danville, VA. I can PM you their number if you'd like..?

DroidForums Junkie!!

DroidForums Junkie!!

And thanks for the info, but Danville is way too far South. I'd spend enough money to buy two systems just from fuel to get there haha. Thanks tho.