Has GPS freaked out again?

justbob

Reaction score
I got the "GPS is way off" phenomenon on the way to work this morning. I'm physically in Richmond, VA and GPS had me positioned way out in the Atlantic off the coast of Newfoundland. Very strange.

I fired-up the GPS Status app and it showed that it could see six satellites but was not able to navigate from any of them. It makes me wonder if Verizon is somehow getting the empherical data screwed-up or corrupted and getting the GPS terribly confused.

Is anyone else affected by this today?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Did you try turning off agps? And seeing if that fixes your position....

Hypnotic

Reaction score
I got the "GPS is way off" phenomenon on the way to work this morning. I'm physically in Richmond, VA and GPS had me positioned way out in the Atlantic off the coast of Newfoundland. Very strange.

I fired-up the GPS Status app and it showed that it could see six satellites but was not able to navigate from any of them. It makes me wonder if Verizon is somehow getting the empherical data screwed-up or corrupted and getting the GPS terribly confused.

Is anyone else affected by this today?

Haha I'm very close to Richmond maybe 20 to 30 minutes away xD.

Anyways yea I've actually found turning off the phone worked as well.

I've only had the issue once.

OP
justbob

justbob

Reaction score
I rebooted the phone with the same result. I forgot I could turn off AGPS. I think I'll try that and see what happens.

hacku

Reaction score
I had this very same issue yesterday afternoon. I was trying to show off the car dock to my girlfriend so I decided to show her how I could use my GPS with it.

Sure enough, it made me look a little foolish when we're in Arizona and it was showing me being in Indiana... lol

After a few minutes I'm guessing it started updating because it then jumped to Arizona and then caught up with me.

AlanT

Reaction score
It has been dropping out for me in "Maps" last couple of days; the salesman in the Vzn store said that it has trouble indoors...

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
It's not just an indoor problem. What I can't figure out is that when I was having problems, my wife's phone was right next to mine and working just fine.

OP
justbob

justbob

Reaction score
I found some interesting stuff in the forums at the Motorola Tech support site:

This procedure from user Erich_F seems to be effective according to several of the posters:

Download and Install and App called "GPS Status"

Go to Settings
Tap Location and Security
Uncheck Use Wireless Networks
Run Advanced Task Killer and close all Apps
Start GPS Status in clear view of sky and wait

If your GPS does not lock on, try the *228 Option 1 reprogram then restart phone. Immediately run GPS status and see what happens.

You GPS is faulty if you can't see any satellites in view on GPS Status. What's most often the case, is you may see anywhere from 4 to 10 sats in view, but no fix.

BTW, go to Settings, About Phone, Status and tell us what your PRL version is. Mine is 51731 just for reference. Yours may vary.

Tim K

Reaction score
I had a similar problem on Sunday. GPS couldn't identify my location at all. I tried resets, battery pulls, task kills, everything. I installed a couple of GPS status programs. I was able to track multiple Sats but it could not get a fix. After about 5-6 hours it finally started working again. No idea what the cause was....

JamesX

Reaction score
There is a thread in the how to section about caliberating your GPS.

It is just a way to link your phone to all the satalites.

Works ok, but it does't seems to be permanent.

OP
justbob

justbob

Reaction score
The procedure seems to work for me. I disabled AGPS and fired-up GPS status. I got a navigation lock on 8 satellites in about 15-20 seconds. I turned AGPS back on and everything seems to be normal again. Weird...

J

Johnly

I can't stress enough how important it is to look at the map before you hit navigate. Make sure it is a route you are willing to take, and after that, hit navigate. For freak out GPS failures from google, that is a first I have heard. I use the Nav often, and it has been nothing but stellar. I will report back if I get a GPS freak-out.

FireDroid

Reaction score
keep in mind it is still a beta and will be worked on constantly, it is by no means a finished deal, for that reason I always have my Nuvi with me just incase.

I have had no freak out though.

OP
justbob

justbob

Reaction score
Dude, this is Google we're talking about. Everything's beta. :blink: