Has anyone tried using their Turbo with another Provider?

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Has anyone tried using their Turbo with another Provider other than VZW? Is it possible?

1coopgt

Reaction score
So how would you do that ? It's a locked down Verizon phone .

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
I believe all Verizon phones are required by the FCC to be unlocked. I remember there was a post by someone on this forum that used a T-Mobile sim, however when that person put their Verizon sim back it, things screwed up. But I've seen a few times that the Turbo does work on T-Mobile, but I believe only on Band 4.

Edit: I think Band 2 also.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've seen a turbo on T-Mobile... One..but other than that..the radios are really not great for other carriers..

Dr.Death

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I checked to see if my turbo would work on some other carriers and they said it wouldn't.

eivindobirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
My Droid Turbo works fine here in Norway. All you gotta do is check the phone specs, find the frequenzces and find out which providers use those frequencies.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I spent last week in Canada and the Turbo worked perfectly fine on the Rogers network, GSM for voice and HSPA+ for data.

I saw icons on the notification bar I had never seen before :).

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
I spent last week in Canada and the Turbo worked perfectly fine on the Rogers network, GSM for voice and HSPA+ for data.

I saw icons on the notification bar I had never seen before :).
When I was in Canada over the summer, I loved roaming. I felt it was better than Verizon. LTE on Rogers, Bell, and Telus was incredibly fast, and H+ was still for the most part faster than Verizon LTE, and most definitely faster than Verizon 3G.

I tried making it a "game" to stay on one provider for the whole day, and it was very reliable.

JDH

Reaction score
I have read here that all Verizon phones come unlocked in the box.

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
I have read here that all Verizon phones come unlocked in the box.
Yup. As long as the device supports the frequencies of the carrier chosen, it's good to go. Most (if not all) newer Verizon phones have Band 4 which will work on T-Mobile because of their Band 4 use, and I think (not entirely sure) most of their GSM frequencies.

However a Verizon specific device on T-Mobile will usually lack Band 2 and Band 12, which is a big part of having the best coverage and usability on their network

JDH

Reaction score
So many folks on this board continue to rant about Verizon locked down phones. This unlock policy has been available for a VERY LONG TIME.
Thanks to Captain America for posting the link.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
So many folks on this board continue to rant about Verizon locked down phones. This unlock policy has been available for a VERY LONG TIME.
Thanks to Captain America for posting the link.
They rant about a different kind of locked down as in locked bootloaders.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There's different kinds of locked..the type you refer to..is the. Can I take my expensive device and use it on another carrier or in another country.. With vzw devices..in the US you're pretty locked down because of different antennas..but you can..you may only get 3g...

In Canada they work well in Rogers...

Now the other locked down is.. Bootloaders..the ability to have root access to your device, and change boot animations or run roms and other things like hacks for entitlement...moto and their droid line was like the first...now Samsung...is even locked down..infact...is there a way to root the new line of Samsung's yet??? Not that I'd heard..

Samsung was just sued in china over the amount of bloat on their devices..by a consumer group..we should get together and do that too..I like the idea of..put whatever you want on there. As long as I can permanently remove unneeded garbage from the device that I own..obviously they should keep it to where you can't delete core apps..but they would hide pieces of bloat in core apps saying they need all to function..anybody can see that one coming from a mile away..