Has ANYONE found a way to get the GPS to lock satellites while in airplane mode?

ChadJ55

Reaction score
I am leaving for travel out of the country in just a few days and really want to get this darn GPS to work without a cellular signal. Its ability to lock in satellites is definitely tied to airplane mode being on or off. I have searched this and other forums up and down and have not found a way or difinitve answer on how I can make this work. I really don't want to leave it out of airplane mode while I am there as it will drain battery searching for signal that doesn't exist. I am able to put the phone in airplane mode once I have locked the satellites and use it during that "session" but once I put the phone away for a couple minutes and try to use it again, it has lost the satellites and will not find them until I turn airplane mode off again.

Is there any way to either 1.) get it to lock while in airplane mode, or 2.) get it to keep the satellite lock once acquired while in airplane mode even after being left idle/put away for some time?

Hope you guys can help. I have my offline maps ready to go but they aren't much use without the GPS.

-Chad

Technoman

Reaction score
I am leaving for travel out of the country in just a few days and really want to get this darn GPS to work without a cellular signal. Its ability to lock in satellites is definitely tied to airplane mode being on or off. I have searched this and other forums up and down and have not found a way or difinitve answer on how I can make this work. I really don't want to leave it out of airplane mode while I am there as it will drain battery searching for signal that doesn't exist. I am able to put the phone in airplane mode once I have locked the satellites and use it during that "session" but once I put the phone away for a couple minutes and try to use it again, it has lost the satellites and will not find them until I turn airplane mode off again.

Is there any way to either 1.) get it to lock while in airplane mode, or 2.) get it to keep the satellite lock once acquired while in airplane mode even after being left idle/put away for some time?

Hope you guys can help. I have my offline maps ready to go but they aren't much use without the GPS.

-Chad

I remember seeing a post a while back that said there was an APP that allowed you to disable DATA only. This should allow you to leave the GPS enabled.

liferefugee

Reaction score
Since airplane mode is supposed to block out all data, it would make sense that you can not lock the GPS while in that mode. Many apps have the option to use your last known location. Have you noticed something like this in the apps you are using? Other than that, you may be out of luck. Something you could probably do though... I believe 2.2 gave us the system option of turning off all data, or choosing to be wifi only. If you set this to wifi only (or leave all off) you should be able to enable GPS without using the cell network while you are away.

droidxep

Reaction score
Whether it does what your looking for or not I don't know but switch pro allows you to turn data off. Its basically a power widget with more features and options

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Whether it does what your looking for or not I don't know but switch pro allows you to turn data off. Its basically a power widget with more features and options

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quick settings is another app that allows the toggling of mobile data. It still allows texts and phone calls tho, so not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for since it will still be looking for some sort of signal.

JBHorner

Reaction score
If I'm reading the OP's issue correctly, data isn't the primary concern--a phone looking for a non-existent signal is. (And thus, draining the battery.) I remember there was a way to go into the diagnostic mode on other handsets, where the phone radio could be turned off, but the actual phone wasn't in airplane mode.

The talk about data wouldn't even seem relevant anyway, I believe. The Droid X does have an ability to disable data when roaming. Disabling data would, therefore, only be relevant if in a "home" area.

Update: Found the information I was referencing. Go into the "Information" mode in the phone by launching the application through the dialer. *#*#INFO#*#* Go into "Phone information." At the bottom of that screen is a button that says "Turn off radio." I believe that turns off the cell radio, but leaves the others on.

Joel

Jaeger

Reaction score
I just played with Quick Settings on my phone. (great app by the way!)
You can turn off Data while leaving the gps running. I suppose if you had a gps app with maps preloaded you could maintain full gps functionality. Otherwise, the Nav, google maps, etc. just come up with a blank screen (though your icon is displayed.) The GPS function in the compass app works pretty well. I could see that being useful.
What off line maps to you have and which app runs them? That could be highly useful.

OP
C

ChadJ55

Reaction score
I tried the 'Radio off" option to no avail. Works the same as putting the phone in airplane mode (relative to GPS). Can't find satellites without radio on. I can turn radio off while the GPS is running, and it keeps running... until I put the phone away for a couple minutes, at which point it tries to find the satellites again and cannot without the cellular/radio on. Humbug. Inexplicable and dumb design, Motorola. Really hope someone finds a way around this. I guess I will just have to wait and see how the phone acts when there is no CDMA signla and it is searching for a GPS signal. My hope is that it will find the satellites, and not drain the battery super fast.

By the way, I am using Maverick for the offline maps. Works excellent.