hanging up in the middle of calls

hcbrown1

Reaction score
I've had a Droid since they came out and love it. Recently a friend got one and she is having a issue with hanging up on people while on the phone. I would assume she must be activating the screen and hitting the end call button by mistake but that doesn't seem to be what is happening. I never have this happen with my Droid. She even had the phone call her voice mail while in the middle of a call one time. Thought I would check here and see if anyone has had the same problem and and suggestions.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the phone is defective (hardware-wise.) I realize it's probably a difficult symptom to reproduce, but your friend might try using the speakerphone and see if it happens. My guess is that the proximity sensor is messed up on her phone.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Quite a few people have problems with the screen not sleeping during calls like it's supposed to. This leads to them hanging up on people, dialing voicemail, etc. One somewhat common trend amongst many of these people, is long hair. For whatever reason, there are a significant number of phones (on these boards anyway) in which the proximity sensor doesn't function correctly if the user has long hair. have her try calls with her hair pulled back and see if she still has the issue. Not that that is any kind of permanent solution, but it might help diagnose the problem as a hair+sensor issue or an actual device malfunction issue.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Long hair has caused similar issues. Search for 'proximity sensor' and you may find more related threads to the problem you're addressing.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Long hair has caused similar issues. Search for 'proximity sensor' and you may find more related threads to the problem you're addressing.
+1

Her Long Hair is causing the problem. If she moves her hair out of the way during a call it will fix the problem.

Yes I know it's strange but it is a known issue.

ShowTime

Reaction score
For the record, my gf just got her Droid about 2 weeks ago and I warned her beforehand, and have asked her about this problem and she said she hasn't had it happen to her, hair in the way or not. Go figure.

victoriac

Reaction score
I'm a girl with long hair, I have all the hang up, merge calls, mute problems while I'm on a call and I make sure my hair is back and my face is away from the phone. I still have these frustrating problems!!

cpinto

Reaction score
I've had a Droid since they came out and love it. Recently a friend got one and she is having a issue with hanging up on people while on the phone. I would assume she must be activating the screen and hitting the end call button by mistake but that doesn't seem to be what is happening. I never have this happen with my Droid. She even had the phone call her voice mail while in the middle of a call one time. Thought I would check here and see if anyone has had the same problem and and suggestions.

This may not be related, but there are a line of skins you can buy for the Droid at these mall booths, that do not have the cutout for the prox sensor.

I tried it, and when covered with this skin, the screen stays on when near your face. I thought it would go blank and stay that way when the call connected, but it worked the opposite.

Strange ...

cpinto

Reaction score

I have noticed girls with blond hair seem to have even more issues with the Droid.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
My wife has the same problem - she has medium length hair, Ill ask her to try the hair out of the way trick.

We took it to Verizon... if you stand in front of her and watch the phone you can see that the prox sensor is cutting in and out - while she is talking, the display will periodically come on... then go back off again.

She tried my phone (I never have the problem), and while it SEEMED less prevalent, it did still do it - so I dont THINK its a hardware problem.

I think the real solution is a BT headset, but I havent been able to get her to go that way yet.

jc

rbramwell

Reaction score
Droid Hangs up on most of my calls

Have medium length hair, if that has anything to do with the problem but every-time I get a call I end up hanging up on them or the keypad buttons start firing as my ear touches the Droid screen.
This is now my second Droid so I don't believe it's a bad phone.
Really like the phone if I don't have to talk to anyone, but what good is a phone that continually hangs up on people. Hate to say it but Droid really sucks in this area. I would say this is a big problem for Droid.
Want to try the Iphone due to this problem. Sorry Droid isn't for long hair.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the screen out of the corner of your eye as you hold it up to your face. You should be able to tell if the proximity sensor is turning the screen off. See if changing the way you hold the Droid makes a difference (it does for some).