[Handcent SMS] Is there a way...

M

Matth3w

For all text messages from the same contact to show up as the same text thread? I use Handcent and have some contacts with multiple phone numbers that I would like to show up as one thread in my SMS box instead of multiple.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not clear on what's going on here.... do you have contacts with multiple mobile numbers?
Handcent IS threaded SMS. So by default it puts all messages from a single contact into a thread.

OP
M

Matth3w

I'm not clear on what's going on here.... do you have contacts with multiple mobile numbers?
Handcent IS threaded SMS. So by default it puts all messages from a single contact into a thread.
Not true. The threaded messages aren't based on contact they are based on phone number. So if you had someone with 100 cell phones you would have 100 threads from them.

For example, my Facebook notifications all come from different numbers. Despite having every single number that facebook sends me in the single Facebook contact, I have like 20 Facebook threads.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not true. The threaded messages aren't based on contact they are based on phone number. So if you had someone with 100 cell phones you would have 100 threads from them.

For example, my Facebook notifications all come from different numbers. Despite having every single number that facebook sends me in the single Facebook contact, I have like 20 Facebook threads.
I agree. My mistake... threaded SMS is based on mobile number. You're correct.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time... but if you have 1 conversation with let's say "Joe" at his 555-5555 number why do you need another thread with "Joe" at his 555-5556 number?

So you're saying a text you may have from "Joe" via his cellphone, you want it to be in the same thread as a message from "Joe" on Facebook?

OP
M

Matth3w

Not really.

When you get SMS updates from Facebook, for example. It looks like:

4329087634 John smith sent you a message on Facebook....

3249078324 Jane Doe commented on your photo...

If I add the above numbers to the Facebook contact, I would like ANYTHING coming from Facebook to be in ONE thread.

Or, for example...if my wife texts me from her personal cell and then for whatever reason has to text me from her work cell, I want it to be in the SAME thread.

The reason I add all my numbers from Facebook into one contact is because I like to look at my phone REAL quick and see what it is...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, now I understand what you want. And I don't believe there's any app or anything that will do that for you.
I'm not big on Facebook so pardon my ignorance on the subject :icon_eek:

Seems there's still a lot left to be tweaked regarding Facebook and contacts.

fighterace0

Reaction score
Facebook Texts

I'm having the exact same issue and it's driving me CRAZY!

I've wondered for a while if there's a way to make all facebook texts to come under the same contact a voila you can if you add EVERY number to your contact. I have handcent and I figured there must be some way to get them all to appear in the same way. well... doesn't work that way. threading is by number. i have 2 threads from my dad, work cell and personal cell. for facebook i have upwards of a hundred. it is very annoying. There MUST be a way to configure certain numbers to be merged into the same thread. Even if you spoofed the numbers? idk. there has to be a way. i suspect this is a problem for millions but no one has thought of a solution yet that I can find. Any developers know a way? Preferably through handcent ;) lol