handcent = slow dx

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
I just got my doird x for Christmas. I have been looking for a few weeks on here about the handcent app because my wife and I like the "smileys" (pictures not symbols). I notices as soon as I downloaded the hadncent app my droid got slower. Is there a way to fix this? Also hwo do I make handcent the default SMS? I have unchecked all the marks for the standard SMS app that comes on the dx but when I go into the handcent app I have nto found a way to make this my default SMS app. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

If rooting is the only way to go to increase the speed, I'm not sure I am comfortable doing that yet since i have not had a chance to read and research the root process.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

harrellj

Reaction score
If you have a task killer or antivirus installed, uninstall them (or in the case of Lookout, disable the antivirus module). Also, definitely read up before attemtping to root and figure out what you're going to use it for if you do root.

As for default SMS app, if you're notgetting notifications from the stock app and launch Handcent to text with, that's as much as you'll get for a default setting.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

B

bthomp21

There was a new update tonight that is supposed to fix the lag issues of handcent.

Once you receive a text, how does it pop up? handcent or default?

Rocko

Reaction score
I noticed that too. Handcent is nice, but seems sluggish.

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
I believe that the standard text app displays when I first "wake up" the phone from receiving the text. Because unless I close out of the text and then open Handcent I cant use the smileys. Thats why I figure it opens with thestandard app

how do I update Handcent to get rid of the lag time?

Rocko

Reaction score
There is no update. I downloaded the full app yesterday morning.

Goto market and search for handcent it should say Installed or Update.

cpjr

Reaction score
All you have to do is enable all notifications for Handcent and DISABLE all notifications for the stock SMS app.

B

bthomp21

yeah i hate when my phone lies and i get an updated version :icon_eek: saying that the lag issue is fixed from the admin...

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Just so you know...in the stock SMS app, even though the keyboard shows the smiley "symbols", when you select them it actually sends the smileys and not the text symbols. As long as the receiving device knows how to "decode or read" text symbols, they will display as the actual smileys...

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
ok so I got the updated version of handcent but the phone still runs kinda slow. This is the only app that I have installed since I got it and I have not downloaded any addtional games. I am only comparing it to itself when I first turned it one prior to downloading handcent. The biggest lag seems to be when I "wake Up" the phone and slide the unlock bar.

I guess I am just worried that if this one app makes the phone a little slow what might happen if I download other apps or games. Maybe I'm just being too picky about this.

harrellj

Reaction score
Ahh... you are having issues with redraw. There's lots of threads on this issue in these forums.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I doubt Handcent is the cause of this....

If you uninstall it does the device speed back up?

Rocko

Reaction score

yeah i hate when my phone lies and i get an updated version :icon_eek: saying that the lag issue is fixed from the admin...

What version number is the updated version you have?

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
Handcent application version 3.5.2

I will search but you may have to educate this noob to some of the terms here.

What is redraw??

I have not yet trie to unistall it

Rocko

Reaction score
Handcent application version 3.5.2

I will search but you may have to educate this noob to some of the terms here.

What is redraw??

I have not yet trie to unistall it

That's the latest version. Its a bit slugish for me and has a few glitches.
one is it wont auto rotate to landscape mode in the quick reply mode half the time.