Guys, I really need your help.

mjwassmer

Reaction score
I just purchased a Droid Incredible from somebody on Craigslist. I met up with the person, gave them the money, and arrived home about half an hour ago. I tried to activate the phone--it wouldn't.

Turns out the MEID is bad. I can't activate it. I don't know if this person knew that, or what. I'm trying to get back in touch with them now. A few questions:

Is there anyway to unlock this phone?

Do you think I have any legal rights here if for some reason I can't contact this person? I did write down their license plate number.

OP
M

mjwassmer

Reaction score
I realize I made a big mistake in not checking the MEID first. I just didn't know.

cromo8

Reaction score
good job on writing down the license plate, yes you should have at least asked on here we all would have adviced u to check it, you have legal right if he sold you a defective device

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your experience. I would contact VZW and explain that you purchased a used device and ask if they can help activate.
I doubt you have any legal ground but if VZW can't help then contact the local authorities and explain the situation.

Good Luck.

Mike

OP
M

mjwassmer

Reaction score
OP
M

mjwassmer

Reaction score
I do have another question, though: what makes a bad ESN?

What do you have to do with your phone to make it to where you can sell it to someone?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do have another question, though: what makes a bad ESN?

What do you have to do with your phone to make it to where you can sell it to someone?
The three that come to mind are:

1. Stolen and you're their next victim
2. Purchased on an account that was closed and now in collections
3. Purchased and never activated because the Terms and Conditions were not accepted.

OP
M

mjwassmer

Reaction score
Well, someone just bought it from me for 230. Wow. Made 10 bucks.

OP
M

mjwassmer

Reaction score
Yes, I advertised it on Ebay as having a bad ESN. I wouldn't do to someone else what that lady did to me.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Know it is has one isn't the same as knowing what it means, but if you advertised the fact then it's buyer beware.

I hope you sold it as-is, otherwise even with that notice there might be issues.