(GUIDE) how to root DINC2 2.3.3

estafusisx

Reaction score
I just finished rooting my phone and decided I'd help out anyone that's having problems with it or just hasn't gone over to XDA and tried it for themselves yet!

This process is for S-Off, Recovery installation, and Root permissions. This method will ONLY work on the DINC2 2.3.3 GB OTA. If you aren't sure if it will work for your phone just check your "About Phone" in the settings. It may be a good idea to create a recovery between steps 18 and 19.

First off I am not responsible for what you do to your phone or anything that happens to it as a result of using this process. (please don't sue me!)

Downloads:

1. HTC drivers - http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
2. SuperUser/root .zip (to be flashed from recovery, NOT unzipped) -
http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip

Downloads for installing CWM (Optional):

Note: ONLY for use in installing ClockWorkMod manually. Do NOT download these if you let the Revolutionary S-Off tool download and install it for you.

3. Fastboot and ADB tool - http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1308537076
4. ClockWorkMod recovery .img - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10675316/cwm-4.0.1.4-vivow.img

Obtaining S-Off:

1. Go to
Revolutionary and click the download link at the bottom. (this guide is only for windows but i may update with linux instructions later)
2. Enter your OS (windows for this guide) device (HTC Droid Incredible 2) and HBoot version (there's only one option) in the blue box under the download link. Serial number will come in a minute.
3. Unzip/extract the zip you downloaded with your favorite zipping program. (I use WinRar but there are plenty of others that work just as well)
4. Run the revolutionary.exe
5. Make sure your phone has USB debugging enabled (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging) and fast boot disabled. (Settings -> Power -> fast boot)
6. Plug your phone in to your computer via USB.
7. Enter the serial number on the revolutionary website (told you) and click generate key.

8. Enter the generated beta key into the command prompt window. (if it doesn't accept it you probably entered it in wrong)
9. It will do it's thing for a minute or so, and after a while it will say success (hopefully) and ask if you want to download and install ClockWorkMod recovery.
10. When this guide was first made that functionality was broken, but now it seems it has been fixed. Enter "Y" and if it works you can skip the "Installing ClockWorkMod Recovery" section of this guide and go strait to the "Obtaining Root Privileges" section. If the window closes on you randomly or tells you it failed you will need to manually install CWM.

Installing ClockWorkMod Recovery (Optional):

Note/Warning: Do NOT do this part of the guide if you used the Revolutionary S-Off tool to install CWM. (successfully)
Note: From this point on, the majority of my information (including files and links) comes from this thread [Info] After Revolutionary: install Clockworkmod, root & more - xda-developers.

11. You will now need to download the fastboot and ADB tool (download # 3) and ClockWorkMod recovery (4) for the DINC2.
12. Open the command prompt and look at the directory it's pointing to. (should be something like "C:\Users\*your name*") extract the fastboot and ADB .zip to the *your name* folder, and move the CWM .img to the same location.

Note: I'm terrible with windows commands so there may be a way to do this without dumping everything into your user folder, but this works fine too.

13. Type "fastboot flash recovery *name_of_CWM_file*.img" into the command prompt and press enter. It should work for no more than a few seconds and then tell you it's done!
14. Now you can navigate the menu on your phone's screen with the volume up and down keys and select "Reboot" with the power key. BUT WAIT! Before it starts back up again you need to press and hold the volume down button until it turns on again! Did you read this before you selected reboot?? If not you had better hurry!!!! If you missed it it's fine you can just wait on the phone to boot up again and then reboot it like you always would. But remember to do it this time!

Obtaining Root Privileges:

15. Navigate the hboot menu with the volume keys and select "Recovery" with the power button. (If you don't see an option for "recovery" try doing step 14)
16. While you're waiting on it to reboot download/make sure you have downloaded this SuperUser/root .zip (2) (can you believe you still aren't rooted?? But it's okay you've been making good progress!)
17. Go back to your phone and take a look at that sweet new recovery! (I know. I wish i could change the color too.) Navigate to the "mounts and storage" option and select it (same keys as before) select "mount USB storage".
18. Copy the SuperUser/root .zip from your computer to your SD card once it shows up on your PC. (I like to have a folder on my SD card called "Updates" just to keep all my .zip files in one place)

Note: This is a good time to create a backup if you want to, but I haven't included those steps in this guide because it isn't essential to rooting your phone.

19. Once the file is done copying select "Unmount" then "***Go Back***" then "Install zip from SD card" then "Choose zip from SD card" then find the folder you put the SU/root .zip and select it then select "yes - Install *SU/root*.zip
20. Go back to the main screen in CWM and choose "Reboot system now" and you're all done!!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back!

This is my first guide so I'd love feedback of any kind and if you have any questions don't be afraid to either reply with it or PM me and I'll see what I can do :)

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR FRESHLY ROOTED HTC INCREDIBLE 2!!
Don't be afraid to donate to Unrevoked and AlphaRev!
They did a lot of hard work and deserve to be rewarded for making all this possible :)

Last edited:

pzeronoir

Reaction score
Maybe rooted, maybe not

First off, thanks for working up the root guide. Huge help.

After running through the steps (including recovery), I thought I was good to go - Root Check verified root access. But I'm not sure I'm actually rooted. I'm a noob, so maybe I'm just overlooking something obvious.

Root Check noted the lack of Busybox, so I downloaded Busybox Installer. But after trying to load it, I get "Error: Root Access not detected...." Superuser shows nothing related to Busybox, so I think I'm SOL there. Likewise, Titanium Backup says it can't get root access.

Am I rooted or not? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Okay, I updated Superuser via the market and this seems to have resolved problems. Busybox installs, Ti Backup installs. I think I'm in business. Thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
UPDATE: Okay, I updated Superuser via the market and this seems to have resolved problems. Busybox installs, Ti Backup installs. I think I'm in business. Thanks again!

I was just about to suggest that. I had to do the same thing to get root explorer to work. I'll add it to the guide/get a new SU. zip later today.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Little812

Reaction score
Is there a video yet? I'm horrible unless I see it. I will donate for a video.

Swyped using taptalk

droidette101

Reaction score
FINALLY!! It works!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I have been waiting for this since the dinc2 came out. The directions worked perfectly and the guide was clear and well done. The only thing that I would suggest for future followers is to download all software before starting any of the steps (this will be necessary if you only have an internet connection through your droid). Also, don't worry about it if you stop or reload or whatever before completing all of the steps. I had to reload the phone to download software (no independent internet connection readily available) and check the guide anew in between all of the stages and my phone rooted perfectly. As a final note, I've found that getting the bootloader menu up on the dinc2 is much trickier than on the dinc stock. For some reason it doesn't always catch even when I'm holding the volume button down properly. If that happens to you, just take out the battery once you see "htc" and keep trying - it'll catch after a few attempts.

Little812

Reaction score
13. Type "fastboot flash recovery *name_of_CWM_file*.img into the command prompt and press enter. It should work for no more than a few seconds and then tell you it's done!

Stuck here, I too am not good with prompt verbage. can someone help me out?

Little812

Reaction score
OK... I have the s-off. While taking the back cover off I turned the phone off. I powered it back up in hboot but now my computer wont recognize the phone as anything? Solution?

I am at the step of flashboot flash recovery img

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
OK... I have the s-off. While taking the back cover off I turned the phone off. I powered it back up in hboot but now my computer wont recognize the phone as anything? Solution?

I am at the step of flashboot flash recovery img

I think you need to be in hboot usb not just hboot. Try selecting "hboot USB" from the hboot menu.

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
scratch that last post a little research shows that you actually need to be in "fastboot USB" mode. Not sure exactly what the differences are haha. Heres the instructions to get there. (I'll edit the OP with these instructions tonight)

How to start Fastboot USB mode:
  1. Unplug USB
  2. Turn the device off
  3. Hold volume down button (HOLD IT) and press power
  4. Hboot will start.
  5. Wait for sdcard scan to complete.
  6. Plug in USB cord connected to the computer
  7. Press power ONCE and Fastboot USB mode starts
Stole this directly from [Info] After Revolutionary: install Clockworkmod, root & more - xda-developers so credit to attn1 and hope they don't mind... Because I've used it a lot in this guide :)

Little812

Reaction score
Thanks

Worked thanks estafusisx

Now I need point in the right direction to get the CWM img on this little guy.... Any more help?

Little812

Reaction score
Success I think? How do I know? It looks and acts just like before, yeah its my first. Thanks estafusisx, you pooped the proverbial root cherry.

Am I rooted now, or what is the next step?

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
Success I think? How do I know? It looks and acts just like before, yeah its my first. Thanks estafusisx, you pooped the proverbial root cherry.

Am I rooted now, or what is the next step?

If you got all the way through it you should see an app called SuperUser. And you should be able to boot into recovery from the hboot menu.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Little812

Reaction score
Yeah I got that, im in. Just deleated my 2.3.3 power tool bar by accident anything I can d to get that re installed?

But the main question is "now that I am rooted, what do I need to back up and what needs to be "wiped" prior to flashing a new ROM?

Little812

Reaction score
Used Titanium Back up (batching now) to back up all user data. On the CWM screen what needs wiped before a new rom?

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
Wiping data and cache should do it. That's from my experience with the D1 though so this phone may be different.

On a side note I just spent nearly an hour editing the OP and when I clicked save it said the message was too short and to make sure it's over 4 characters long. Then it asked if would like to "cancel my changes" and the only option was ok. Fantastic. I'll probably redo it later tonight but right now I just need to do something else haha.